Sinister: famous for fifteen seconds

geoff geoff at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 20 16:13:00 BST 1999

Wotcher kids,

Someone tried to start a thread a while back. You won't remember. It didn't
catch on. It was about briefly feeling famous....

Taking a well-earned leak in the toilets of a seedy Nottingham nightclub, I
spotted two young men, resplendant in supergrass-stylee 'burns and shaggy
moptop barnets. They spotted me, YS Laurent  pinstripe jacket and heavy
eyeliner. BIG flappy lapels.
'Aren't you Johnny Leather, the guitarist from Debonair?'
I smiled benevolently. 'Yes,' I replied, for 'twas I and none other. 'Did
you come to the gig?'
'Yeah,' they replied. This was all going swimmingly. 'We thought you were
gunna be some sort of shit-hot lead guitarist and you fucking played
*rhythm*!'
'Well...' I faltered.
'You played a 12-string!' they cried, accusingly.
'Yeeeeah,' I replied - there was no point denying it. 'But I played lead on
a couple of the songs.'
'We didn't fucking notice. And that singer looks exactly like Jarvis Cocker.'
'He can't help that,' I said as I affected a sharp exit, and glided towards
the dancefloor ready once more to wow the chicks with the gyrations of my
snake hips. I'll just get a quick drink in first......

Speaking of which, I will naturally be shaking my little tush on the 'floor
at Strange Fruit on Old Street, London tonight, to the strains of our heros
and other aural delights. See you there, natch,

love geoff xxx