Sinister: did anybody go to bigchil/cropredy/have an amazing egg lips experience (AKA what i did with my summer holls) + Free Marine Research/london picnic/hefner/the other hefner/etc

Taylor JM J.M.Taylor at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 20 19:10:56 BST 1999

+advanced apologies for length & at the overdue-ness of this ..ermmm
things were hectic then i wasn't here.....

+ i started waffling a few days ago and have only just had chance to
finish.in fact this is three sessions worth. sorry.

PICNIC FOOTBALL SHOCKER

first off sincere apologies to all i managed to axe (notably trousers & mark
casserole) during the last pic-nic footy (unless i've just missed more
recent picnics that is). too many beers makes jim a bad late + crap
tackler. top fun though. as long as i didn't (accidentally) deck you. and
mark i'm sure i never touched you as i ran past you that one time, either
that or i almost didn't touch you and award you my old footie nickname for
when i was very small....butterman. i kinda fell in a dollop quite easily.

oh yeah and if martin, i am jim "the next david james" taylor, does that
mean i'm shit or not? i'm not currently addicted to computer games,
perhaps more fine beers and cheese exported back form la france. well
villa do have the only 100 % record in the premiership, at least for a few
more minutes at time of typing

(and it was only for those minutes too :(

IT WASN'T THAT BAD WAS IT?(loose club at Hqs camden lock)(post london picnic)

Speaking of the same day, i trust at least some of you had at least half
as good a time as i had at that club i dragged everyone along to....my
mate actually took me up on the suggestion of calling the info tel # on
the flier to suggest they sorted the PA out so it didn't deafen the
punters quite so much...which they didn't take to too kindly. think i'll
do the same....i guess this deems i'm starting a campaign for quiet music
(no i'm not getting old honest) but maybe just quiet-er, so your ears
don't hurt isn't too much to ask. i on;y noticed it near the end, when i
also noticed all but a couple of sinisterines had left - trust this wasn't
too much of a bad reflection on the place, and more that you were all as
pissed as i was. i had the headache before the club, but perked up with
chocolate, cola + not overly excessive drinking. won't say no more about
that night - hope all survived reasonably intact in all ways.

(just read that ailsa actually has recovered form the hangover which was
good news. a night to tell the sinister grandchildren about i'm sure. . . .
shit what a prospect!)

HEFNER HEFNER HEFNER

@ the jazz cafe. i was glad martin needed to hug too, cos, well it was
that good. well nuff said.

TIGERMILKING ...nah - I'M a folky old bastard.

ermmm apparently you could (according to the very coherent and
relevant alisdair ginola at said soiree) "Pick out Jim's
authentic purple trousers from a line up including mauve and maroon ones
and win your own weight in used condoms."

aaah what a lovely thing. reading alsidairs fine posts rather than that
actual prize obviously. SEE i do read a bit of the list once in a while!
anyway i'm so much of a born again virgin these days anyway you wouldn't
have got the prize off me. ermmm yeah anyway . well unless, mmm.
so nice weather innit.

anyway, for the minutes, apologies from my purple trousers and i.
next one is??????

well hope it was a fantastic evening. i was around that time standing in a
field in oxfordshire in torrential rain, balancing my waterproof's hood
just behind my ears so as not to impair the sound of one of our nations
finest singy/songy/guitarry type geezers, Richard Thompson. i even dried
my glasses so i could hear "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" better. If any
sinisterine ever fancies joining me to make a pilgrimage to the National
Motorcycle Museum near my parents house in Birmingham (oh alright,
solihull) to view the bike which caused? this song let me know. i'll also
fight anyone (or at least blow football at dawn) who dares challenge me on
the suggestion that this is a qunitessential modern folk classic,
in the traditionalish sense. obviously you have your pub singalongs, i
mean i think oasis constitute folk from their existence in the nations
consciousness etc)

(oh yeah i was at CROPREDY the Fairport Convention festival, and apart
from fantastic beards, the wonderful world of Wadworth's Ales, (i stared
the 'Old Timer' right in the eyes) i also saw ralph "so much more than the
streets of london" mctell, (very well respected in folk circles dontcha'
know..), plus steve gibbons & his dylan project do a better dylan than
i've seen dylan usually do, plus i slept through most of the paul mitchell
band (the old timer taking effect again see), so i don't think you missed
much trousers, (though i can't be sure quite what i missed - but basically
this bloke can't get signed, and the general consensus of my posse was
that this wasn't the greatest travesty ever. It better bloody not be honey
anyway now! i did hear a bit, but i forget which isn't best sign.
Oh yeah i also saw Fairport Convention which was good. (it would be fun to
get some anti-folk cracks back but i know you're all too damn nice!)

before craprody was

THE BIG CHILL

a delightful little festy in the wiltshire/dorset borders, held in
victorian pleasure gardens built by General Pitt Rivers in 18something or
other.
best bits include on site peacocks, macaws and the main stage being and
outdoor victorian theatre with delightful painted backdrop and 2 f-off
stacks dropped either side of it. Plus the gardens are very pleasant, its
an english heritage sight. this year was a bit bigger twice as many bods
(2,000), plus slightly less chilled due to "occasional rain" (well
frequent torrentials actually but i managed to reference terry callier so
ha) and the odd mad raver type demanding serious beats during an ambient
roger eno/lol hammond performance. also bj"he gets everywhere"cole with
luke vibert, fridge (supported godspeed on tour in london anyway)
Plaid, the other HEFNER (inertia records) who i didn't watch loads of-
i think it was raining, but wasn;t damascus stylee converted like i
was when i saw OUR hefner for the first time;Instrumental (who have been
doing six piece string covers of electro/dance classics for a few years
now) without my drum'n'bassy mates MAO this year (see them, they rock. or
dance or something) Mixmaster Morris and rounded off by the bollywood
brass band. and rain.plus lots more, it was a festival obviously)

stan/john/DJ was in Spain that weekend (i think) playing a festival in
Spain with Marine Research (formerly Marine Salvage & Research Limited as
a spanish fanzine reminded me) as were our Hefner and the usual big money
festival suspects + good stuff too. Manics pulled out - obviously no
armitage shanks flown in especially).

the sinisterbowliefooty-damon accompanied me down to the 'enchanted
garden' festy as it is known and helped me drink lots of red wine. we also
blew air into the silver bag in the wine box to make a fantastic camping
pillow. surely a viz top tip if ever there was.plus the chill festy has a
late night installation art trail which makes a bit of a change to late
night pushing overs of chemical loos etc.

Anybody taking in Damon & Naomi upstairs @ garage in a week or
twos time? i like lots and lots.

oh yeah blame any bad spelling on a crap spell checker or the fact i have
to push off to watch west ham vs villa. naturally i will be supporting the
northern and far superior claret and blue contingent. and i know half the
list won't have a clue what i'm on about so (....snip)

[and that was now 4 days ago.]

MC SOLAR'S RING

Inbetween festies was celestial hot action. who saw the money shot????
Well i saw it good and proud in the sky above Neufchatel en Brey (sp?)
where we cycled from dieppe. Utterly recommend cycling through french
countryside..well that bit anyway. amazing beer/baguette/patiserie stops.
i can still smell the camembert :)
I'd ask if anybody else had amazing eclipse experiences, but i'm sure i
know how to use the search tool.

MARGARINE RESEARCH

ok - here we go:

Rough Trade GIG tomorrow (RT NOTTING HILL) has been shifted cos the old
bag upstairs has taken out an injunction against gigs at the shop or
something, so is now at 6.30 at some arts club down the road, but if you
get to the shop at 6pm anyway i think the plan is to shepherd everyone
there together.tomorrow being sat 20/8/99. (free)

MR @ 1st day at reading fest Fri & Leeds Sat., teeny stage i think.

MR gig 2/9/99 at Water Rats with mmmm i think i was told American + very
good ???, anyway is: sarah dougher.....

7/9/99 DJ (of MR) will be errr DJing at the Brassy gig @ borderline
(+probably at the John Jervis Where Its Is At Where You Are Scalafest same
night of london mogwai gig 16/10/99 quickspace/cometgain/rosita (i think))

11/9/99 Aston Villa give arsenal a good hiding at highbury (mmmm)

17/18/19 /9 we all/some go to ATPs ???? :) :) :)

OK so sorry for witterings, perhaps its good that i don't post too often.
and check dates/existence of gigs before travelling etc.

too much already

jim