Sinister: two cents on Eyes Wide Shut debate (no B&S content!:))

Kin WOO daftpunk at xxx.au
Sat Aug 21 09:05:40 BST 1999

Hey there Sinisterinies!
Now's the time to put in my two cents on the "Eyes Wide Shut" debate,
having just seen it here in Australia. And the conclusion is way overhyped
and that if it came from any other director other than Stanley Kubrick
would be dismissed as self-indulgent and wanky, which of course it is.
Though the film definitely has strong merits. Nicole Kidman puts in a
mesmerising performance, and I liked Vinessa Shaw's (and her cool name!)
sweet prostitute, a beacon of warmth relative to the cold depravity of
most of the characters. I thought the film was filmed in a very lavish and
rich way with warm baroque colours, appropriate contrast to the clinical
coldness of most of the characters. As for the music, the first time the
plinking piano sound was used, it was fine. But when it re-appeared for
the fifth time, everyone in the audience was tearing their hair out. It
seemed like it was put in to inject some needed tension, but failed in its
monotony.
I thought the themes of the novel were unique and original, and I wish
more focus was put on the whole dreams/reality aspect of it, instead of
oh! Look another breast!
   Nicole's speech at the end nicely wrapped up the themes of the film-
that of dreaming, temptation and sexual frustration (I think!) and how
they were now awake to the realities of their love for each other. The
film also had interesting things to say about how wealth and ennui with
life can lead to terrifying loss of morals and self. But the damage was
already done, mostly from the slow pace and of course the infamous orgy
scene, which was not only disgustingly inappropriate but hilarious in the
way only porn films can be. All I could keep thinking, was whether these
people were actors or porn stars. I also thought how weird this must be
for Tom Cruise to be placed in the middle of.
There were some terrible performances in the film, notably the girl whose
father just died, who says she loves Tom. She couldn't even convey her
sadness or anxiety-coming across like a constipated fit! Tom,
unfortunately suffered the same, playacting a lot of the time, and all I
could see was his frustration at not being able to even put across
frustration. He's the Ryan Philippe (handsome, questionable acting skills)
to Nicole's Reese Witherspoon (beautiful, can act her husband off the
screen). He also seemed stilted and mechanical at times. As for Marie
Richardson who plays the hooker who intervenes to save Tom, I couldn't
imagine how Jennifer Jason Leigh (originally slated for the part) would
have been in the role. After all, all it required for her to be naked for
all her screen time and speak behind a mask. Jennifer is much too good for
that.
I also thought it was so hypocritical that all we see is female nudity and
lesbian sex, and so little nudity from men. The whole movie seemed like a
product of a misogynist, indulging his adolescent fantasies. I thought
women were mostly objectified in the movie, either being hookers or
flirting with men. Even poor Nicole seems to have been used as an object
in those imagined sex scenes with the naval officer. I bet she would have
flat out refused to do those scenes, if it had been anyone other than
Kubrick. There was a genuine creepiness and eerieness about the whole
masked business, undermined of course by the gratuitous and totally
unnecessary sex. I read that in America they digitally obscured it and
even cut out a minute, something I normally disapprove of. But I think I
would have enjoyed the film a lot more if it had.
Basically to conclude, if you want to see a film about bored, rich,
oversexed beautiful people, go see the far superior "Cruel Intentions". At
least that film was shorter and way more enjoyable. Well that's my two
cents, hope this encourages some more debate (didn't want to read other
reviews of it others have posted till I saw it)- and sorry there's no B&S
content
Seeya
Kin Woo