Sinister: Rodding Along in My Automobile, My Baby Beside Me at the Wheel!

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sun Aug 22 15:44:08 BST 1999

I think we should all celebrate the Sinister birthday by having a
good, hard shag. I bet Isaac Hayes celebrated his birthday with a
good, hard shag. He did invite me to his party, Oon, but I reckoned
there'd be no spare gash, and what, thought Alice, is the point of a
party with no spare gash? So I stayed at home and read the sleeve
notes to my latest musical purchases. Here's Ian McLagen from the
notes to "At The Club":

"So I'd sit drinking and listening to the sounds pumping out of the
speakers, as my feet flailed about under the table, checking out the
chicks on the dance floor. They were working it out alright! "Hey
beautiful, do you fancy a drink?" Well, I only asked."

Hmmm. Later on in the same lavishly illustrated booklet, Paolo Hewitt
blatantly rips of "Young and Foolish", filling us in on the life of a
mod:

"The jazzers read the Beats, you check Albert Camus and you both want
freedom from the drudgery, to pull wide the curtains, let the air in.
Clothes, music, drugs, mobility, chicks - they've all taken a grip and
as the pill dips for a minute, a slight panic hits inside."

They overlooked that in "Quadrophenia", didn't they? "Oi, Chalky, lend
us your Camus, will you?" "Piss off, Jimmy!" I don't think Roger
Daltrey read Camus, thank you very much, unless Monsieur Albert wrote
the instructions for Dippity Doo.

Let's move along sprightly to the notes to "Bossa Cubana" the
misleadingly titled compilation from Los Zaphiros, which I urge you
all to avoid for fear of falling into a coma. Los Zaphiros happen to
coincide with the legendary Beatles in Paris:

"They loved Ignacio's voice. They examined his throat to see if there
was anything inside. They realised there was no device, it was his
natural voice. John Lennon talked a lot with me. He touched my hair. I
touched his hair. They were real gentlemen."

So there we have it, conclusive proof that John Lennon had a one-way
ticket on the choo-choo train of love to Bumhaven!

Now that B&S and Howie B are delabel mates, perhaps Howie could be
drafted in to do something with Electronic Renaissance. Like dispose
of it safely.

Lights! Camera! Action! On Wednesday I hope to attend the star-studded
premiere of Sinister legend Roman Polanski's new film. The only
trouble is, it's a raffle.

Johann Nilsson asked about various festivals. Benicassim was on
Spanish radio 3 all bloody weekend, but I didn't listen to much. Most
of the time it was just people talking when I switched on (David
Gedge, to name but one fascinationg conversationalist) and the music
sounded appalling, like it was recorded in a bucket full of wee.
There's a half-hour television programme on tonight at 1.30 on Tele 5,
if you have a revolving staellite dish, they're threatening Blur,
Suede, Massive Attack, and (I quote) Kula and Shaker. No Arab Strap.
I'm not going to watch it, I only watch pole vaulting nowadays. I'm
not going to tape it either, unless you really want me to.

Well done Brainbox Sarah.

Peter