Sinister: I hate making up subject titles for these things

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 23 18:43:36 BST 1999

Hiya kids

{ k a i t e } wrote:

they might be giants DOES have a cult following, but it's mostly by
normal "mostpeople" who always listen to the radio but they think
they're hipsters because they obsess over this one band that "no one has
ever heard of" called they might be giants. as such, i've never listened
to them. cuz their fans are sooo normal.

I'm normal (shut up, Alasdair!). I listen to Belle and Sebastian.  Most
of the people I have met through Sinister are normal.  Going to stop
listening to B&S now?  Thought not.  I hope you were joking :)

Jake asked :

> Is the new album from Astrid any good?

I presume it is, not actually having heard it, but I sort of know them
and they used to play in the pub down the road from me every weekend for
about a year, and they are rather ace, in a Monkees crossed with the
Byrds crossed with Teenage Fanclub kind of way.  B&S content - in the
Century of Fakers video, the bloke who works in the cafe and gives Chris
a fag is wearing an Astrid T-shirt.

BabyChris, who has no reason whatsoever to feel like a failure for
"only" getting a B in one of his Highers (better than a lot of people I
know, including me, and I don't feel like a failure as a result of my
Highers), said:

> yeah, I think that the films name is the title of one of the songs on
> the next b&s album, or ep. I remember reading it somewhere. It's monday
> now, so that bit of info was pretty useless

...about the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.  The B&S song is
actually called The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner, has been
around for a while, and has been sung at a few gigs a few times.  I
believe they may have done it on Beat Patrol (Radio Scotland's quite
good indie programme).  If you go to
http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/lyrics.html you can read the lyrics,
which Nick has kindly written down for you all.  He's right about the
guitar break too, you know.

Alasdair said:

> So, Queer as folk eh? I suppose folk is quite queer, isn't it?

Which means he won't be wanting that Kate Rusby stuff I taped for him
then.

BabyChris also said:

> I didn't know that ailsa had a street named after her

Oh, I have a big lump of rock in the Firth of Clyde, a mental hospital,
a skip hire company and the Rentokil depot in Paisley named after me
too.  I'm a proper celebrity.  Ross County FC were named after me too,
you know.

And then he said some fairly negative stuff, concluding....

> have come to realise that I, just like most people, am not special

Which is bollocks.  Most people *are* special, and the trick is to
realise that, no matter what other people may tell you.  And being
someone's loved one is not unrealistic, just a pretty sad ambition if it
is all the ambition you have.  I mean, it is a great thing to be loved
and to love someone, but it's not the be all and end all, or shouldn't
be at any rate.  Realise you are special, and someone else will see it
too.  But if no-one sees it, that doesn't mean it's not there.
Self-confidence is the hardest thing in the world to achieve, but it's
probably one of the most worthwhile too, and it's all the more valuable
if it comes from within, rather than being validated by someone else's
opinion of you.  Did that make sense?

And you don't have to look like George Clooney to be a doctor.  Mine
doesn't.  Isn't George Clooney's character called Dr Ross.  That's
probably named after me too.

I wish I could think of some terribly effective way of regaining my top
ten position in the list crush votes.  Though the fact that I am being
beaten by Roolz despite having more votes than the individual members of
the band put together, means I've decided they don't count.  So nyer.
Gosh, how childish of me.  I'd better go home and put myself to bed
without any supper.  But only cos I'm skint.

Ailsa xx

PS I don't wear socks much*.  I find that helps the sock-purchasing
quandary a lot :)  I'm a bit scared of the concept of pink socks, puts
me in mind of those nasty fluorescent thingies you used to get in the
early 80s, with matching fingerless gloves.

* this is because I wear skirts and therefore tights most of the time.
Not because I like getting blisters on my feet.