Sinister: Ailsa's unstoppable celebrity, Beth Orton, Isobel's breasts

MARTIN_CONNEELY at xxx.ie MARTIN_CONNEELY at xxx.ie
Tue Aug 24 10:50:39 BST 1999

Baby Chris and Ailsa wrote: >> BC: I didn't know that ailsa had a street
named after her
>A: Oh, I have a big lump of rock in the Firth of Clyde, a mental hospital,
a skip hire company and the Rentokil depot in Paisley named after me too.
I'm a proper celebrity.  Ross County FC were named after me too, you
know.>>

There's also an "arty" Irish film from 3/4 years ago called "Ailsa", which
is quite sinister: about stealing other people's posts and stalking and
obsessive lust, I think (about the lust, that is).

Kah praised Beth Orton.  She's playing in Dublin next week for two nights,
but the Charlatans top the bill.  Is there any link?  Have the Charlatans
become the kind of band that Beth Orton devotees would like to listen to or
vice versa?  Earlier in the week there's a line up of Flaming Lips,
Cornelius and Cane 141, which seems to fit.  Anyways, I'll go to both. No
danger of Beth smashing guitars and endangering the lives of the men and
women of Erin, I presume.  Unless she, too, brings her own goad around with
her (file under anti-Isobel).

Finally listened to the Gentle Waves (there's a novelty: using the real
name) CD, which is pretty dismal except for "Weathershow".  It doesn't even
include "I want your breasts upon my back".  Didn't Ms Campbell sing that
at all the sound checks?:)

Martin C

(Cliff is incommunicado)