Sinister: Lord Anthony and Ailsa's history of B&S related outer garments

Martin Connelly eppie at xxx.ie
Tue Aug 24 23:09:07 BST 1999

Months ado, as part of Nick Dastoor's obscure lyric preservation drive, I
was listening very carefully to Lord Anthony.  I got so hot with the aural
exertion (hadn't read as far as "jiggy" at that stage) that I had to take
off my gillet. The label read LORD ANTHONY. So, the warnings about Sinister
taking over your head were coming true.  But no:  next morning, it was still
Lord Anthony.

As I'm still mostly wading through old digests (wasn't Mr Stout's video of
LLPJ brilliant?), I only came across this June posting from Ailsa recently:

<<Lord Anthony were manufacturers of every single anorak that the less well
off kids wore to school... Sort of synonymous with being a snottery-nosed
little
not-in-with-the-cool-kids kind of kid in British schools in the
seventies and early eighties>>>
Well that explained that then didn't it.  How very humbling. Thank God it's
the 90s.  I onlhy got it as a present.  I needed it for the shooting and
fishing. I never wore Lord Anthony to school (couldn't afford anoraks).

Anyway, there's an inside pocket over the left nipple which can be
convenient for drinking where it might seem a bit inappropriate - church
part of funerals and that sort of thing.

The drink can be inserted in the inside pocket and, using a flexible straw
(McDonald type), the drinker can pretend to scratch the right side of nose,
covering the straw in the mouth.  Works best with 50ml cans, not too bad
with 330ml but, for coffee or other "open topped" drinks, the mug handle can
be a problem and a good balance is required.

Obeying the rules, I looked up Ailsa's piece on the archive.
She had also written that:

<<At our primary school you weren't allowed to do those snorkel-hooded
parkas up in a South Park style as it meant you couldn't see out the sides
and you would be likely to get hit by a car when crossing the road with your
vision somewhat hindered>>

and, strangely, the archive also threw up a very old post from Joss
detailing his experience of exactly that.

Martin C
(Cliff said self-humiliation was okay)