Sinister: Mike Love, Not War

robhalcrow at lineone.net robhalcrow at lineone.net
Wed Aug 25 18:35:38 BST 1999

 Hello people,
 I'm not bored and I'm not at work so maybe I shouldn't post at all.
  Beach Boys better than Beatles? I reckon The Beatles win cos they did their stuff and split up before it got diluted and dull. The Beach Boys, well Brian, Carl and Dennis (Bruce at a push) were capable of some heartbreakingly gorgeous stuff (God Only Knows, Cabinessence, Don't Worry Baby, Till I Die...) but Mike "What is this shit?" Love hardly helped the cause. Al was " a man waiting for a bus" according to Dennis. Mike Love aged 75 singing California Girls scares me.
  Anyone else see the V-Twin video last night on Alternative Nation? Frankly I was shocked at the tying up nurses content. Thought I'd stumbled on The Fetish Channel free preview. I did like it when they all went swimming in their pajamas, though.  I reckon the best performance in a music video is Stevie Jackson in LLPJ. That bit where he has his lunch break on the bench is hilarious. It's just the little satisfied look he gives.
  The Wit and Wisdom of Ailsa Ross- I think we should pay her for her down to earth homilies on the nature of love (and parts of the country named after her), all delivered with just the right mix of compassion and sarcasm.
  Whoever mentioned the Incredible String Band I heard John Peel play "Swift As The Wind" a while back and it scared me silly. Lots of moaning and wailing with lyrics about swords and medieaval (?) sinister gubbins. Creepy.
  What else? My fave rave songs at the minute are Arab Strap's "Cherubs" and Stevie's "Chickfactor". In fact anything beginning with Ch it seems..........
Bye
Rob