Sinister: Mike Love, Not War

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 25 20:15:10 BST 1999

Hello.

I too saw the V-Twin video.  I knew I hadn't stumbled on the Fetish Channel free
preview because that's what I'd just turned over from.  It was a good video, and
I am told Stuart Murdoch was behind the camera, or at least barking things
through a loo roll somewhere.  It had one of the Maisonettes in it too.

Fans of Sarah Martin will be pleased to know that she is head kinky nurse.

Fans of Chris 'Beans' Geddes will be saddened to learn that he wimps out of the
wet pyjama contest by going topless.  He also removes his glasses and falls foul
of the 'NO PETTING' bylaw.

Fans of pop music will be devastated to learn that V-Twin really aren't much
good at all.  This new single sounds exactly like someone taking the piss out of
Rolling Stones-era Primal Scream.  I believe this is not an original thing to
say, but neither is the Lord's Prayer, and no one complains about that.  Except
those crazy non-conformists.

I do however have boundless admiration for V-Twin principles. They could have
gone along with the crowd and hired someone with magnetic stage presence to
front the band, but instead they got someone with no discernable charisma at
all.  He looks he ought to be on telly playing snooker or something.  I expect
he writes the songs though, so they can't really kick him out.

Great video though - it was more like a B&S video than the B&S videos.  Except
for 'A Century of Fakers' - I Iove that one becuase of all the kissing.

Also on Alternative ('you can tell it's alternative by the spiky viral computer
graphics') Nation was the video for the new Moby single.  Alarmingly, the
rumours about FunkySeb dancing in it appear to be true.

After that they showed Devo's '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'.  I may be
imagining it, but I think it was sampled in the Moby single and someone at MTV
probably thought that playing it after the Moby would be clever and informative.
It certainly taught me that Devo invented Big Beat.  Also in the late-70s,
Siouxie and the Banshees invented fast bleepy techno on some B-side.  Around the
same time, Blondie invented crap rapping (although this didn't take off until
Vanilla Ice grew of age). By the 1980s, there was nothing left to invent but New
Romanticism, and even that wasn't that new.

I wish Belle and Sebastian would release a song with brackets in the title.  I
was pinning my hopes on '(This Is Just A) Modern (Rock Song)' but no luck.   I
also wish that they would release a nice duet between Stuart and Isobel.  Rumour
has it that one of these is planned for the new album.   I hope that it's the
one with the working title 'Marx and Engels'.    Stuart would be Marx and Isobel
Engels.  If they make a video that would be even better.  I don't know what
Engels looked liked, but I imagine that it was very much like Isobel.  Stuart
would have to wear a moustache, though.

There is also supposed to be a song called 'I Fought In A War'.  I reckon it's
going to be a concept album about the class struggle.  'Lord Anthony' had to be
shifted to the EP because it was too sympathetic to nambling-pambling
aristocratic misfits.   I think my theory also explains why it's all getting so
delayed - the band are beset by infighting over just how the the revolution is
to be achieved.   Stuart 'Snowball' Murdoch favours the softly-softly
catchy-monkey infiltrative approach, but he's getting shouted down by Isobel
'Napoleon' Campbell, who insists upon carnage.  I'm not quite sure about how
'Winter Wooksie' is going to fit into all this.

I have two copies of the V-Twin single to give away.  They will go to the two
people who write the best answer to the following question: 'In what way are
V-Twin any good?'.  Twenty words or less.  Depending on just how persuasive the
best response is, I may have to keep the second one.

N xx.