Sinister: That nocturnal, lay-about good-for-nothing returns...

Robin Carmody robin at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 26 01:58:31 BST 1999

so, I'm back under my new address, still pissing around, still hoping for
redemption...

what have I done since disappearing, where have I been lurking?  I went to
London on Monday (best birthday I've had since I went to Broadstairs beach
10 years ago ... I had simple tastes then) and celebrated my 19th by getting
Momus's Stars Forever.  Barely out since ... we've had torrential downpours,
thunder, blazing hot sunshine, mist, humidity, chilly winds, all this in two
days.  Who said England's magnificent south-coastal climate was becoming
more mundanely pseudo-Mediterranean?

still enjoying it no end ... i agree with James Thorniley that there are no
"masses" any more.  maybe 20 / 30 years ago, when there was a recognisable
cultural mainstream and alternative, a shared identity, a linear narrative
... but not now.  The idea of "normality" (which, in Britain at least, has
always equalled institutionalised anti-intellectualism, proud mediocrity and
fear of the future) is finally disappearing, and we're all the
(artistically) richer for it...

leaving you, so much in love

robin