Sinister: Mike Love, Not War

Steven Kirk steven at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 26 09:14:41 BST 1999

> Hello.

Hello. I'm new to this list and have decided that because my first message
is such a special occasion, I'll make it the first Sinister message with an
"Re: Re:" in the title. At least, it'll be the first since I've been reading
it, and that's what counts isn't it?

> I too saw the V-Twin video.  I knew I hadn't stumbled on the Fetish
Channel free
> preview because that's what I'd just turned over from.  It was a good
video, and
> I am told Stuart Murdoch was behind the camera, or at least barking things
> through a loo roll somewhere.  It had one of the Maisonettes in it too.

Stuart Murdoch makes films for the fetish channel?? I've suspected it for a
while actually, ever since they started showing those footwank features
filmed in that church hall. "Judy and the Dream of Horses" was just going
too far though - put me right off my dinner. Am I allowed to say footwank? I
suspect that I probably am.

> I do however have boundless admiration for V-Twin principles. They could
have
> gone along with the crowd and hired someone with magnetic stage presence
> front the band, but instead they got someone with no discernable charisma
at
> all.  He looks he ought to be on telly playing snooker or something.  I
expect
> he writes the songs though, so they can't really kick him out.

Even though Gifted was a top notch ace song, I started to wonder whether
V-Twin were actually any cop when I saw them at the Bowlie, and the latest
single would have confirmed my suspicions that they were A Bit Crap, had I
bothered listening to it. Unfortunately I haven't, so I'll have to take your
word for it. The singer did have a Scott Walker t-shirt on though, which
reminds me : forget the Beach Boys and the Beatles. The Walker Brothers were
tons better; well at least if you forget all that crap stuff they did. Land
of 1000 Dances? Pile of bloody arse more like.

> I have two copies of the V-Twin single to give away.  They will go to the
two
> people who write the best answer to the following question: 'In what way
are
> V-Twin any good?'.  Twenty words or less.  Depending on just how
persuasive the
> best response is, I may have to keep the second one.

How about "The singer had a Scott Walker t-shirt on at the Bowlie". Will
that do? You can keep the record, mind.

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but I've found a way to get really long
messages, like most of you lot write and NOT ACTUALLY WRITE MUCH. This is
achieved via the exciting new technique of QUOTING people. It is a technique
that I strongly encourage because it promotes CONVERSATION. And that can
only be a good thing, can't it? Unless you've got nothing to say. Oh dear.

Anyway, hello to fountainhead and Arantxa. Yes I am following you.