Sinister: Loss of sensation

Andrew Tracey andrewt at xxx.com
Thu Aug 26 12:14:04 BST 1999

Hey up peeps

You may fill up this list with your tales of chocolates and sweets and revel
in their deliciousness but please be aware of the consequences. I've just
returned from the dentist where my confectionary abuse was laid waste for
all to see. After much tut-tuting and jiggery pokery in my cavities
(involving a big injection) the whole of the left side of my face is numb.
As I sit here waiting for the anaesthetic to wear off it feels as if I've
had a stroke. But then I remember - I haven't had a stroke in a long while.

So, there's no 'normal masses' in Britain anymore? Witness the 'highlights'
of the V99 festival on channel 4 last night. Cast. Shed Seven. Travis.
Stereophonics. Manics. All watched by a throng of beered-up lads. And hey,
Oasis have finished recording their next album. Fantastic. Diversify or die,
I don't think. Praise the lord for James Brown to show how to put on a
*show* with spectacle (and no spectacles, which is good for a man of his
advanced years)

'Normality' still reigns supreme. Boys still get beaten for wearing make-up.
The homogenisation of culture continues apace.

On a lighter note this was on the BBC's news website yesterday.
Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney is calling for a ban on the production of
"crush videos" - films for people that get sexually aroused by watching
scantily-clad women smashing rats and other small animals.
"Put a stop, won't you, to crush videos," said the 78-year-old entertainer
and animal rights activist at a news conference in California.
"What are we going to hand our children? This is what we're going to hand
down, these videos, crush videos? God forbid."
He was speaking in front of a poster-sized photograph taken from a video
that showed a woman's foot in platform shoes or stiletto heels, apparently
crushing a rat or other rodents.

Makes the whole talk of a list-crush a bit pale in comparision.

One last thing - last night I saw 'Out of Sight' and heard 'props' used in
it's kudos context for the first time.

bye for now       andrew