Sinister: Genevieve, come out and play!

Kurtis, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Kurtis at xxx.com
Thu Aug 26 14:46:36 BST 1999

Hello list,

Oh sweet bliss, just a few more hours until I am officially on holiday!
Jetting off to Paris with Pumpkinny, then a solo trip back home for a few
days. I've got a lot to cram in while I'm in Toronto. Here's a sneak preview
of my 'to-do' list (which will mostly make sense only to Canadians, I'm
afraid)

1. Eat quarter-chicken dinner at Swiss Chalet, end with coconut cream pie.

2. Pack suitcases full of:

a) President's Choice 'Decadent' chocolate chip cookies
b) Static Guard (a non-existant product in the UK)
c) Butter Pecan coffee beans from Second Cup
d) Two-four of Sleeman's cream ale

3. Eat a delicious grease-laden meal at the Stem diner on Queen Street

4. Watch all the fabulous programs on the CBC.

Guess which of the above is *not* true.

And of course...

Elizabeth #1 said:

>Another Elizabeth, er Elisabeth, will be coming into town on the 1st and
>we intend to meet up for a Soul Clan night at Rancho Relaxo.
>EveryAnyone is welcome...look for me, the former mod with the bad hair
>cut.

Oh yes, and here's a few more details: It's on Friday, the 3rd of September,
and starts at about 9 pm at Rancho Relaxo (which, I believe, is at 333
College Street, just west of Spadina on the north side of College)  UC lager
on tap for cheap and the DJ's provide complimentary talc and high quality
northern soul for your spinning pleasure.  Just say no to the lame indie
clubs!!

> B&S
There really isn't much to say about them these days, is there? For list
content I'll note that the Manchester Sinister contingent met up with
Swannie (en route back to NYC) and Fluffy Sarah (representing the Preston
contingent) for drinks and dinner last night, and it was great, despite our
evil waitress at Tampopo. Although I have to say I'll put up with just about
anything there because of my weakness for Japanese food. Anyhow, happy
trails Swannie, let's do a diner crawl sometime when/if I'm ever in town.

>BEACH & BOYS
>I must admit "God Only Knows" has been spinning around on my CD player a
>lot.  The words do crap all for me but the tune is phenomenal...Brian
>Wilson and any of his followers, hands down. The Beatles were only good
>because of John Lennon.  My mother once told me that Paul McCartney
>looks like the back of a spoon!

It's weird...but all those 'classic' bands that I started my 60's collection
with (i.e. Beach Boys, Left Banke, and to some extent the Beatles -- but not
the Doors thank GOD!) are collecting dust these days. I know they're good
but it's just not...exciting anymore.  I know they're there and I'd never
sell them -- I guess it's kind of like all the sentimental crap I've saved
over the years in my closet, freaking if anyone so much as suggested I throw
out a crumpled ribbon I won in an orienteering contest in 1986.

That said, when we visited the Beatles Shop in Liverpool a few weeks ago, I
was quite in awe.  Even though it was just full of keychains, coffee mugs
and horrible golf shirts which I'm sure John Lennon would never have
endorsed, I felt a little thrill go up my spine.

Not as big a buzz as the autographed photos I just got from Bill Tarmey,
mind.

love
elisabeth xx