Sinister: Loss of sensation

Robin Carmody robin at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 26 20:37:19 BST 1999

Andrew Tracey wrote:

> So, there's no 'normal masses' in Britain anymore? Witness the
'highlights'
> of the V99 festival on channel 4 last night. Cast. Shed Seven. Travis.
> Stereophonics. Manics. All watched by a throng of beered-up lads. And hey,
> Oasis have finished recording their next album. Fantastic. Diversify or
die,
> I don't think. Praise the lord for James Brown to show how to put on a
> *show* with spectacle (and no spectacles, which is good for a man of his
> advanced years)
>
> 'Normality' still reigns supreme. Boys still get beaten for wearing
make-up.
> The homogenisation of culture continues apace.

Yes, I agree.  My original point was that while the rest of the world is
losing the disgusting idea of "normality", Britain is still hanging on to
it, and we're crushing any intelligence while we're at it.  It's pretty
depressing when you struggle to name your friends who *don't* sink to the
lowest common denominator, as in my case.

The Beach Boys-Beatles battle: 33 years too late, I have to say ... Good Day
Sunshine and And Your Bird Can Sing are crude, reductive nursery rhymes.
Here Today and I'm Waiting For The Day are two of the ten most sublime songs
ever written

*ducks to avoid the hate-mail from Revolver obsessives*

love on ya
robin