Sinister: a possible celebrety convert

LAWRENCE CHARLES MIKKELSEN LAWMIK00 at xxx.nz
Fri Aug 27 01:08:03 BST 1999

Just thought I'd share a story. I went to see Martin Phillipps (ex-
The Chills, now solo-artist) at the Kings Arms tavern in Auckland
on Wednesday night. At the end of the concert I spotted TV3 news
anchorman John Campbell, a 36 year old who has recently taken
over the anchor position on one of New Zealand's major TV network.

 Anyway, I knew from a radio interview he did last year that he was
a really big Edwyn Collins fan, so I went up to him and introduced
myself by saying 'Hi - I just had to tell you that you and I share the
same favourite album'. He looked at me aghast and said 'what?'
and I simply said 'You Can't Hide your Love Forever'. Anyway, he
went beszerk, and there was much back slapping, hand shaking
and 'wow, I can't believe someone else in New Zealand even knows
who Orange juice are ... etc. etc. from him'. He then recanted how
the happiest two hours of his life was seeing Edwyn play in 1987,
about how the album changed his life etc. I'm 24, and he was
pretty stunned that someone of 'my generation' (he's 36) knew
anything about them.

He's into pretty good music generally (Go-Betweens, Chills etc.) so
i asked him if he'd heard of Belle and Sebastian. He said no, but
then proceeded to tell me that he'd buy one of their albums the
next day, and that I should call him in a week at the TV station and
hassle if he hadn't.

Thought that was pretty cool. Anyone else converted any famous
people to 'our cause'?