Sinister: photo joey

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Sun Aug 29 04:16:05 BST 1999

> done my normal wiggle my bum and gaze at the celing dance instead of my
> usual flail about like a skinny mopheaded combine harvester-pint
> splilling machine routine. Oh well, too late now.

What is good dancing?  Both of the above sound quite appealing.  From what
I witnessed on another occasion, there was also quite a bit of head
bobbing (in between the songs that were good enough to dance to), as well
as synchronized nods (to an equally fashionable, but not as enthusiastic
friend, i.e. not the enthusiasm of someone who could coin a phrase like
"a whole brace of tits"), signaling mutual inspiration and agreement to
head over to the the dance floor.  It was all so beautiful and well-timed,
it could have been staged.  But then I think Bobbie Gillespie is an
excellent dancer.  I taped Primal Scream's appearance on David Letterman
(or another late night show) years ago, and I still enjoy watching it -
Bobbie's leaps into the air, the random hand claps, and general flailing
about ...

One of the many nice things about Tigermilk is that there are songs in
distinctly different styles, but the album as a whole sounds so cohesive.
I like "You're Just a Baby" cos it's one of the few songs in which Stuart
sings "tough" (for want of a better word), and I like the guitars. And
"Electronic Renaissance" is good for what it is, is a good song period,
but it's self-reflective.  It took me a while to sort out what equating
always working with always dancing could mean.

I wish I could see the video that Alasdair's grandfather is in cos I met
someone who, by a marvelous stroke of coincidence, could be him.  It was
on the train from London to Glasgow. He was on the train before London
though in one of those seats with a table and a facing seat.  I was late
and didn't have a reservation, so I asked if I could sit there.  He
consented; then I discovered there was a dog under the table.  The dog was
very docile, but I couldn't look up into his coke bottle glasses (my
brother uses that expression for very thick glasses, in case it isn't
apparent what is meant) so I changed at the next stop.  But then a girl of
about six or seven came, and he proceeded to have the most interesting
conversation with her.  It surprised me cos he had been reading a German
book and looked very serious and dignified with a face so gaunt and
angular that he appeared to be munching on his sandwich with his front
teeth.  He offered to sing for her!  "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and
another one I can't remember, which they sang together.

Good-bye for now,
Youn