Sinister: Only the strongest will survive

Tim Hopkins poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 30 23:42:13 BST 1999

I am cursing the fact that I missed the use of 'Stars of Track and Field' on
the World Athletics coverage recently. I tend to think that you haven't
really made it in the word of rock and roll until you've been used as
background music on a major sporting event. Look what it did for Hurricane
One Pound, after all. If there are any tv producers on the list can I
suggest that 'Seeing Other People' would be good music to play over one of
those jokey montages they do of snooker players being rubbish, and 'The
Rollercoaster Ride' would be nice to hear on one of those hilarious shots of
it raining at Wimbledon. And, of course, they could use 'Is it Wicked no to
Care?' over footage of the English cricket team.

'There is nothing quite as pleasurable as mild illness'. Who said that?
Someone French, no doubt. I was poorly last week and it gave me the
opportunity to stay in bed for days eating chocolate and reading. I read
'The Ground beneath her Feet' by Salman Rushdie (for which big thanks to
Pythia-Laurel, who should grace us with her presence more often). It is
quite entertaining, and as a portrayal of the rock industry it is right up
there with the Spice Girls movie.

Did I dream it, or was Roger Daltry once in a film with Chesney Hawkes?

Talking of films, I went to see Rushmore last night. As you may have heard,
I star in it, and if I do say so myself, turn in a very creditable
performance. Actually, it really is terrific, and I will never doubt
Tagatha's opinions on anything, ever again.

Do you know what else is adding a spring to my step at the moment? The new
Badly Drawn Boy single. For some reason I had him down as some kind of
lumbering post-Beck gibbon, but this new song effs the ineffable in no
uncertain terms.

Oh! I knew I had something worthwhile to say... Some of you might remember
how the night before Bowlie, the elegant Pam Berry organised a shindig at
The Betsy Trotwood pub, with the Jinx Minxes and the Electric Pizza Unit
playing. Well, there's going to be another party, at the same venue, the
night before ATP (ie 16th September). This time The Clientele and Baxendale
will be playing. The whole shebang is also a kind of joint party for the new
issues of Papercuts and Chickfactor. If you would like more info, directions
etc, email me here (poetryplace2 at easynet.co.uk).

Until the next time

Stevie Trousers