Sinister: cunning linguists

Robin Carmody robin at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 30 19:29:01 BST 1999

Jennifer wrote:

> Purchased the new Momus album yesterday. Has it been out a while?

In the UK and US, for a week.  In Germany, for slightly longer.

 Can't > decide what I think of his premise--that throughout history many
artists had
> patrons paying for their endeavors, so why shouldn't Momus? Most of the
songs
> never seem to break out of novelty, except for the Shawn Krueger one,
which
> is sentimental and clever as hell. Not exactly the Sistine Chapel, though.
> That said, it's a nice turn of the tables for an artist to works for the
> fans. Hell, if I'd $1,000 I woulda done it. And why not raise money like
this
> as opposed to releasing live albums, sub-par rarities-type things? I still
> think it could have been done in a more meaningful way, though. But then
he'd
> have to know these people like a girlfriend of friend, I guess. Ack! I'm
the
> queen of dithering on this record.

Trying not to turn this into the Momus mailing list, but it's my album of
the year.  Too much genius to mention, too little mediocrity to complain
about.

> Anyway, Belle and Sebastian are namechecked on the album, so that's my
> obligatory content.

And Carole King's Tapestry, mainly for the cover...

robin
-------
current listening: Rachel's, Kentucky Nocturne (again)