Sinister: Only the strongest will survive

Robin Carmody robin at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 30 19:48:54 BST 1999

Tim Hopkins aka Stevie Trousers wrote:

> I am cursing the fact that I missed the use of 'Stars of Track and Field'
on
> the World Athletics coverage recently. I tend to think that you haven't
> really made it in the word of rock and roll until you've been used as
> background music on a major sporting event. Look what it did for Hurricane
> One Pound, after all. If there are any tv producers on the list can I
> suggest that 'Seeing Other People' would be good music to play over one of
> those jokey montages they do of snooker players being rubbish, and 'The
> Rollercoaster Ride' would be nice to hear on one of those hilarious shots
of
> it raining at Wimbledon. And, of course, they could use 'Is it Wicked no
> Care?' over footage of the English cricket team.

They could make some totally inappropriate, out-of-context use of 'Judy and
the Dream of Horses', somewhere...

> Did I dream it, or was Roger Daltry once in a film with Chesney Hawkes?

Oooh, don't remind me!  That'd be 'Buddy's Song' from 1991.  Wasn't it so
incredibly out of time even then, even more hopelessly trying and failing to
be "down with the kids" than the late-period Children's Film Foundation '84
clinker 'Pop Pirates'?

I'm going on about nothing, aren't I?

> Do you know what else is adding a spring to my step at the moment? The new
> Badly Drawn Boy single. For some reason I had him down as some kind of
> lumbering post-Beck gibbon, but this new song effs the ineffable in no
> uncertain terms.

Once Around The Block makes me ... oooh, starting to love someone for the
first time in a year...

He should do that more often, not the "ironic" quasi-metal crap he seems
satisfied with.

robin
-------
current listening: for destruction, Add N To (X), Hit Me
                             for sympathy, Rachel's, Kentucky Nocturne
                             for love (at last), Badly Drawn Boy, Once
Around The Block