Sinister: Now I know that you're a liar, always sick and always tired

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Mon Aug 30 22:40:50 BST 1999

how come you won't let me into your bitterscene?

Dearest list-fiends,

does anyone else have a penchant for men who slur their words when they
sing? Jarvis sighing "oh, yeah" at the end of Lipgloss, and my new faves
Cinerama's Dave Gedge, he slurs everything. It's a sort of sleepy-angst,
aging and tired but still pushing the words out. I love the sound of Jarvis
Cocker sighing. I felt rather awful last night, and so put on some Pulp. I
didn't feel better, but I didn't feel alone. He said in the sleeve notes to
'Pulp goes to Disco' that he's always wanted to fit in really, which is so
comforting to hear, because being on the egde of things is much harder than
being a proper outcast. You get invited to the parties, but you're just an
extra body.

Boys. I hate them. One of the nastiest boys I know threatened to break my
darling Hannah's pulp cd in half if she tried to play it again. I promtly
bit him in the wrist as he tried to put his Dance99 back on. At least I
think I did, this was the results-day party. I do know one thing, and that
is that he screamed very loud. Myself and the aforementioned Hannah salt
wore matching outfits, in that we both wore men's shirts and ties, and
trousers with creases down the front ('Ma's opinion of my attire as I
walked out the door: "but WHY do you have to dress that way darling? Can't
you wear that nice dress we got from selfrigdes? It's no WONDER you can't
get a boyfriend" This is all very well, but she flinches when she sees me
running around in skirts when I have bruises all over my legs). Jenny, who
you might remember is a bit of a hussy in designer clothing, thoroughly
upstaged our men's clothing idea by showing everyone her new bra, after a
few too many hooches. I think she might have fell out of it at one point.
On purpose.

I wonder if it will be rainy and grey for this following weekend's picnic.
Shall I stay or shall I go? I don't know, but you should. Go, that is. And
remember kids, a brown carpet will hide the stains, alcohol will hide those
troubling pains. God, don't I sound miserable this evening?

Erica