Sinister: It's no holiday here

Halliday, Ian Ian.Halliday at xxx.NZ
Mon Aug 30 23:53:07 BST 1999

While those of you in Angleterre are celebrating the August Bank Holiday, a
public holiday which doesn't seem to have any justification except that it's
a long time since the last holiday, those of us here in New Zealand (rather
fewer in number) are hard at work and looking forward to the start of
spring. This morning it was pouring with rain as I walked from the station
to work. As they say here "September winds and October showers bring forth
November flowers".

A couple of weeks ago my children brought home the Scholastic Book Club
list. It's an ingenious scheme to persuade parents to buy books of dubious
quality at a low price; some of the books are good, some are undoubtedly
trash. The title which caught my eye this time (though not enough to shell
out the shekels) was one called "Tiger's Milk" which apparently is about
some magical brew that a grandmother or somebody cooks up.

New Zealand is still a wilderness as far as B&S is concerned. TBWTAS is on
sale if you look for it, with the kind words about Honey on the sleeve, but
I haven't seen any sign of IYFS for quite a while now. More seriously, there
is no knowledge at all of a thing called Tigermilk in any of the record
shops I have asked, one of which seemed fairly clued up but asked me "what's
the name of their album" when I asked if they had Tigermilk.

I've been meaning to post for a while since the extraordinary article by
Pamela, most noticeable for the phrase "Wirral Squirrel" in her sig. file, a
phrase which I haven't heard for a long time. It brings back nostalgic
memories of my homeland and home town, almost as much as when I heard FGTH
playing "Ferry 'cross the Mersey" live...but I digress. And today I saw
somebody wearing a Beatles (Albert Dock) jacket.

The hazards of posting incautiously are many and varied: you never know when
old posts will come back and haunt, and one did last week when somebody out
of the blue invited me to subscribe to the TV Personalities mailing list. Of
course, I did subscribe...

It's probably not really the thing to do, but I'm sure Honey won't mind just
this once as I advertise the web site of somebody I once was. You'll just
love what you find at http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1158/ which Honey
described as "a deadfire winner" and Chopperman described as "the worst
teenage twaddle it has been my misfortune to read". I'm sure you'll be
thrilled by every word.

Regards,

Ian

Ian W Halliday