Sinister: a documentary on raaaa-dio four, de deee de

Archel1978 at xxx.com Archel1978 at xxx.com
Sun Dec 5 12:56:57 GMT 1999

Forgive me if this 'review' (I object to the author's use of grammar) has
been posted already, or indeed if anyone has tried to mail me.  My email has
gone totally arse over tit again, and it'll be a miracle if this gets
through.  (Not a very spiritually meaningful one, admittedly.)

This was in the times on Saturday, in a guide to what books to give for Xmas:

************************
    If your recipient’s tastes encompass brooding creative types and
“intelligent pop music”, the dark yet gentle Nalda Said (Imp, £7.99), the
debut from Stuart David, bass player with Belle & Sebastian, is a must.
    The narrator is a hospital gardener who believes he had a bizarre secret
pressed upon him by a woman called Nalda during an unsettling childhood.
Working at a hospice, he falls in love with a nurse, whom he eventually
confides in.  The first few chapters of this modern parable were posted on
the website for Looper, David’s pop project (www.treehouse.clara.net/), then
snapped up by Imp.  David is said to have a stockpile of unfinished writing
which may emerge in the next year.
***********************

Huh.  If I had a pound (or a large advance) for every bit of 'unfinished
writing' I've got which 'may emerge in the next year', I'd be a rich woman.
I wonder what the rest of Stuart's output will be like.  On balance, I think
I'd rather he publish his thoughts in book form than as Looper records.
Meanwhile, I had a dream last night that he and I were taking turns to read
from Nalda Said on Radio 4, on Book at Bedtime or something.  My first B&S
dream.

Another first: my train was replaced with a bus service yesterday.  I never
normally get buses. But I was quite pleased to be getting this one as I had
B&S on my walkman.  So I have now done the proper thing and listened to them
on a bus, and it was a Good Plan.

Dreams aside, my social life is still less exciting than my grandmother’s,
although she’s going to something called a ‘widow’s party’ soon, which
admittedly doesn’t sound like a barrel of laughs.  I've decided that in the
new year I will move out, whatever happens.  I may draw a new city to live in
out of a hat, so if anyone wants to nominate their home town, let me know.

Dreading Christmas,

Archel xxx

ps: i don't know where those capitals came from all of a sudden.  i feel like
i've changed my identity.  that's better...

Rachel Playforth
archel at iname.com