Sinister: Adventures in Ann Arbor

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Mon Dec 6 15:00:30 GMT 1999

This was very much an eye opening weekend, and I thought I would share
with you all, because I think I relate to the list better after this
weekends events and the postings on this list. Here is what I discovered:

1. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that one of my favorite record
stores in Ann Arbor finally got around to stocking every Belle and
Sebastian release on vinyl, even though it was a year too late for me. I'm
not the kind of person who is going to redundantly buy an LP if I have it
on CD, but I have an affinity for vinyl and enjoy playing records, and
would prefer that my collection were like that.  This was compunded by the
fact that I gave a friend of mine a copy of the Boy With the Arab Strap on
LP for Hannukah, something that I wish I had on LP myself.

2. While I will not claim that it is a better sport than ice hockey, I
have a new respect for football. I bought FIFA 99 for my Playstation
yesterday and it is now my favorite game.  All I have to say is that it is
bloody well difficult to score goals.  And while I can usually kick the
stuffing out of my NHL 99 game, I have a hard time when I play my English
Football League season. So I take back anything I ever said about football
being boring because it is damned well exciting!

3. My initial post about the WTO was not intended to start a class war,
but then again, I wasn't expecting to find so many unabashed capitalists
on this list. Anyway, I'm sorry if I stepped on toes, but since I went to
school 7 years ago, I have forgotten how to understand the logic behind
the capitalist mentality. It's just the way I am, sorry.

This reminds me. On Saturday, when I was in Ann Arbor, all of the
charities were out, hoping to convince shoppers to give.  I gave to the
children of Washtenaw County and the Salvation Army, and then was
approached by a kid trying to sell candy. I asked my friend why people
kept asking us for stuff and he said we "probably looked like suckers who
would give."  So we decided that if we wanted to get out of giving money
to charities we should just claim that we were "republicans who didn't go
for those crazy social programs."

4. Mumia Abu-Jamal was NOT executed on Friday night. He was granted a stay
of execution in late October. Fortunately for him, he is too "famous" to
be executed. This is because, as said before, if he dies, Philly will
probably burn to the ground and go with him.

Okay, I should probably get to work. Thanks for listening.

Brandt

"While conservative presidential candidate Patrick Buchanan spoke out in
support of the protests, a group calling itself `Vegan Dykes' marched
topless next to electrical workers from California, farmers from the
midwest and nursing students from British Columbia.(AP)"