Sinister: Dictionary

COURTOLY at xxx.com COURTOLY at xxx.com
Wed Dec 8 06:43:32 GMT 1999

Matthew Fletcher of Heavenly apparently was on some committee at the Oxford
English Dictionary and got riot grrrl officially added to the English
Language as documented by the Oxford English Dictionary. I even double
checked this trivia in the Oxford dictionary of New Words or something like
that at the library, but it didn't identify the contributor except to quote
"the first printed use" or whatever in a newspaper article.

But I did see "twee" used in a British craft magazine once. The journalist
emphasized the word had a bad connotation and it shouldn't be applied to the
crafter in the article.
Love
Courtney

<< so tonight a friend asked me what "twee" meant. i tried to explain, and
 tried to tell her where it came from, but having no true definition or any
 of that, i sucked it up and looked at the merriam-websters dictionary that
 resides on my NeXT computer (which sits in our living room). sure enough,
 there it was. said something about it being excessively cute or something
 like that. said it was used primarily by the british and is baby-talk for
 "sweet." sounds good to me. >>