Sinister: Permanent Vacations?

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Fri Dec 10 16:38:44 GMT 1999

I have a really wierd question.

Is the fact that Belle and Sebastian have been pretty much inactive in
1999 so much a bad thing?

Let me explain.  When I started listening to Belle and Sebastian, I had to
be dragged into it.  They were constantly being lauded by people on the
indiepop list and all I could think to myself was, "No band can be THIS
good."

Then I found out people like Beth Arzy and Pam Berry really dug B & S, and
since I dug the kind of music they were doing, I had to give the music
they liked a shot.

But it did nothing for me. And I had other, more reliable stuff to listen
to, like the Softies and Poundsign and so I just let it slide.

Then one day, I was sitting on the porch, shucking corn (this is true. You
can't make this sort of thing up.) and I decided to listen to Sinister
again.  And while I was there, sitting on the porch, shucking corn the
album captured me. I was totally drawn into the phenomenon that is Belle
and Sebastian. (Plus my mom got the totally wrong idea about the band
because she walked by the stereo just in time to hear Stuart M. sing "She
was into S & M and bible studies" and then proceeded to ask me what "this
kinky crap I was listening to was.")

Suddenly I had to have more Belle and Sebastian.  Anything Belle and
Sebastian related was soon owned by me as I tracked down many of the hard
to find UK EPs.  I got excited hearing about Looper and the Gentle Waves.
I had bought into the popular misconception that the band could do no
wrong.

But then my critical self took over. Yes, i admit, I still claim that
Sinister is the greatest album recorded this decade, but to be honest,
ever since The Boy With the Arab Strap, I have been a bit disappointed
with them. The Looper album, which initially amazed me, ended up
disappointing me because most of the songs were the same song played
different ways.  And I won't even touch the Gentle Waves.

So maybe it's better that they are quiet.  Maybe the vacation will help
them put out a fabulous new album in 2000.

Brandt

"Don't worry lads. I always poo before I get up in the mornings."

			--Vivian
		    From the Young Ones