Sinister: In the strangest places

colin thornton colinboy21 at xxx.com
Fri Dec 10 16:17:42 GMT 1999

Dear everyone,

The unthinkable happened to me in this small Kentucky college-town (known to
be home of Jim Varney- Ernest P. Warrel) that has put a huge smile on my
face.  I was walking down the halls of the fine arts building late last
night, after a play.  Suddenly, I heard Belle and Sebastian in my head, and
I was happy that it was so crystal clear in my brain- it almost seemed real.
  Then I realized- SHIT MAN, THAT IS REAL!!!  I ran down the hall like a
crazed madman and found the room it was coming from and burst through the
door and said, "GOOD GOD, WHO IS PLAYING BELLE AND SEBASTIAN?"

Luckily, I didn't walk in on a classroom, but I did meet a friendly freshman
boy listening to IYFS while editing a film reel.  He had actually seen Belle
and Sebastian in concert in New York.  I was so flustered that I must have
seemed like a crazed fanatic and scared him, but I hope I didn't.  Finally,
someone who is just like me in the same fucking town.  He even has Tigermilk
on vynil.  Crazy, eh?

Two questions:

This kid didn't like Belle and Sebastian very much in concert.  Do those of
you who have seen the band in concert agree that they are not so good live?

I know that people have issues with Isobel, but I'm wondering if anyone
noticed on that much despised "Gentle Waves" album that she plays every
instrument under the sun.  So, I really am wondering (from the musicians)-
can anybody tell me (technically speaking) how good Belle and Sebastian
and/or Isobel is musically?

Thanks,
Colin