Sinister: who wants to be a xmas tree?

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 10 18:56:21 GMT 1999

Tom said:

>Like Nick Leigh I was scared by the xmas Radio Times listings
>for C4 and I'm afraid I don't share his optomism.  I've heard lots
>about C4s millenial plans but no mention of a Murdoch/Moyles TV fest.
>Time to worry?

Possibly.  If anyone were to walk in on this conversation, wouldn't all this
sound rather odd?  Scared by TV listings?  Pining for Murdoch/Moyles tv fests?
Do they mean us?  They surely do.  Where on earth has Derek Jameson gone?

Every day in every way, I am learning that Will Smith offers the best guide to
life currently available.  Take the new millennium.  Wouldn't life be so much
simpler if we all followed his example ditched it in favour of the Willennium?
Think about the advantages:

* In the midst of festivities, one can deflect the advances of party-pooping
pedants whining about there being no year zero  and how you should wait another
year blah blah, by saying "Ah - you're talking about the millennium.  I'm
celebrating the *Willennium*, which happens when Will Smith says so."
* Scope creep has set in for the word 'millennium', with many using it to refer
to the New Year period itself, rather than the the thousand year period it
heralds. (Q: "What are you doing for The Millennium?"  A: "Well I thought I'd
grow old and then spend most of it dead, how about you?").  Avoiding this
wrongheaded talk by referring to party crossover time as the Willennium and
reserving 'millennium' for serious academic uses.
* The Will2K bug brings only good things
* Being a made-up word, no one has to worry about misspelling 'Willennium' Omit
the second 'n' with complete impunity.

Apparently Prince's '1999' album has sold out in many shops.  Other pop
starsmight learn from this example. Kate Bush's career has gone a bit flat since
she wowed the BPI award nominations panel with her version of 'Rocket Man'.
Perhaps she could engineer some kind of nuclear holocaust in a bid to whip up
interest in her classic post-apocalyptic vision 'Breathing'.  Or Status Quo
could campaign for the reintroduction of National Service and hope the kids go
wild for 'In the Army Now'.

Today I abused company facilities by looking up famous people on the electoral
roll.  Don't tell anyone.  Did you know that Steven P Morrissey is living with
his lovely wife Deborah somewhere in Cheltenham?  Neither did he, I would
imagine.  I also found Mr Stuart L Murdoch and Mr Richard Colburn living in
'mixed household' domestic bliss, just to prove that it really works.

>hello my name is jeremy. and im new to the list.
>im an art student at pratt institute in brooklyn.
>i like the color blue and reading small thoughts by stanley donwood.
>latley i have been listening to the new les savy fav album and playing around
>with a fisher price pxl-2000.

I just thought this was worth repeating.  Have 'Jessie's diets' made it to the
US yet?  Here everyone says things like "This week I have been mostly exploring
the lo-fi scene" all the time and it somehow doesn't date or get annoying at
all.  Welcome to the gang, Jeremy.

Zoe asked:

>i've read on the B&S site that they're going to record a john peel
>session.does anyone have any idea when is it gonna be broadcasted?

Well it was supposed to be not long after the willennium, but word on the street
is that they missed the recording date, so it will be guess what... delayed.
Don't get cross.  It's all to do with Stuart David and his runny bottom.  Or
something.

Elsewhere.......

Fiona's battering plans have invaded my every waking thought.

The kids at my school never thought of any clever puns on my surname.  Unless,
you count 'Nicholas Dust the Door' and 'Nicholas Dastardly'.  Which I don't.

Why doesn't Steady Mike win some kind of prize?

                                                                   Nicholas
                                                                        xx