Sinister: And the Byrds can swing

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Sat Dec 11 17:34:22 GMT 1999

I note with interest Steady M's report on finding the traces of B&S in
unlikely places. Very much the same phenomenon happened to me. The other
week I was round at his 'manor' house at Greenwich's fashionable meridian
when a private screening was arranged of an obscure performance by the
Rolling Stones. Asked if I was up for watching the old devils, I couldn't
but  wink: 'It's only Rock'n'Roll - but I like it!!'. The show had various
Belle and Sebastian lookalikes on stage, plus two special guests: Ricky Ross
of Deacon Blue, and Marianne Faithfull, back in the big time and
occasionally striking a tambourine. But the aural warpquake that is The
Stones was unmistakable as they loped through a track from side of 1971's
Sticky Fingers elpee. Most amazingly of all, even Brian Jones was back in
the line-up - a comeback to put Tom Jones, the Sundays, Nat King Cole et al
in the shade of a tower block. Halfway through he belted into a veritable
swimming pool of a solo, and never mind that he thought he was still playing
'Heart Of Stone'. All in all, it was great to see them back where they
belonged - no less than the irreplaceable, irresistible, irrepressible
GREATEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD. 'As the saying goes': We salute you!