Sinister: The Final Countdown

stephen troussé poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 14 16:54:54 GMT 1999

Old Nick Deathsdoor muttered: "why doesn't someone give Steadymike some kind
of prize?" Oh, but they have, Nick, they have. In fact, I first met Mike in
Antwerp in 1989 when I was sent to cover the shooting of "Anti-Oedipus!",
the Lionel Bart musical adaptation of Deleuze and Guattari's schizoanalytic
classic. One of the leading lights of the Belgian moog-gazing scene, Mike
had been hired to provide "rhizoliminal digi-glitch" on the soundtrack.
Despite falling out with the director (a youthful Alec Empire) before the
film's completion, Mike was later awarded the highly-coveted Golden Phenome
prize by Gothenburg's "Planckspenker" magazine, for his contribution to
cinematic esoterrorism.

IX
I wonder if anyone has taken Stewpot up on his plaintive offer to help
people with their problems. I ask, because it looks like he's being left
behind in the popstar Agony Aunt stakes by Scandi-pop weirdnik Stina
Nordenstam. If you go to her website (http://www.nordenstam.com), after
navigating through a Borgesian cyber-labyrinth, you end up at a dialogue
page where you can ask lickle Stina questions, and she replies to them in
her own eccentric ice-pixie fashion. It's all very sweet.

VIII
I say! Have I been smoking crack again, or did Honey say he imagined Jason
Andreas' old chap to be like a shrivelled-up newt?

VII
Thai news: "A dream holiday in a sunflower field in Lop Buri turned into
nightmare for a young female tourist who ran into an attack from an army of
bees". (Bangkok Post, 13 December 1999).

VI
Watchauptoo this Friday, then? If you're in London Town, why not come along
to Covent Garden's seminal Poetry Cafe and dig da new soundz of The Pines
(featuring Pam "She's a little bit country" Berry and Joe "He's a little bit
rock and roll" Brooker) and Harvey Williams vs Josh Gennet? You also get to
see me do my Paxman impression ("hurry up!") in the exciting new quiz game,
Sinister Challenge. Contact me via that there tapetty lightbox for further
details.

Forget your Blair Witch Projects, your Sixth Senses and your Funkyseb in the
BT ad, the scariest thing I've seen all year is that creepy-looking woman
who sings with the Wamdue Project. But what on earth is she going on about?
"Must be a reason why I'm free in my trestle?" "Must be a reason why I'm
free to mud wrestle?". Or what?

IV
Are you doing anything on Tuesday 21st of December, then? Cos that lovely
Baxendale band are playing at the Betsey Trotwood pub in Farringdon. Ask me
nicely for more details.

III
Denim news: It's been too long since we last heard from
Lawrence-out-of-Denim, but I have it on very good authority (ie Tim from
Baxendale, who's just been recording in the same studio) that he's about to
stun us all with the greatest come-back since Lazarus. Apparently his new
band is called Go-Kart Mozart and the forthcoming record includes tributes
to Um-Bongo ("they drink it in the Congo") and Wendy James. I can hear Peter
Miller salivating from here.

II
Talking of Peter Miller, anyone expecting a copy of papercuts should receive
it before xmas. I'm sorry about the delay, but I am very lazy. Incidentally,
Peter, I just had a gander at your website
(http://www.perpetualocean.com/bio.html) and it's very impressive. Do you
have any copies of "Gremlins of the Clouds" for sale?

They showed Logan's Run on telly the other day, just to rub in the fact that
I will be 30 tomorrow. Flowers, condolences, etc to the usual address,
please.

Merry Cliffmas
Stevie Troussé
xx