Sinister: I think too slow and drink too fast

Erica MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Tue Dec 14 17:35:30 GMT 1999

Dearest Lotty,

Oooh, set your videos and put on your best dress, Lauren Laverne (aaah!)
with Mint Royale (mmph..) are on The Priory tonight. I'm making an effort,
I've missed her so.

When I was nine, I set up a proper funeral for my deceased Hamster, Bazil
(after a childhood obsession with Faulty Towers). The coffin, a Ferrero
rocher box, was lowered into a shallow grave with gold ribbons (I only had
little hands, and a little plastic spade, so it had to be shallow..). Ashes
to ashes, dust to dust.Dignified, eh? well no, not really, the Hissing Cat
from next door dug the coffin up a few days later and dragged poor Bazil's
carcus up to our doormat. That cat, which is black incidentally, so it
*must* be evil, now saunters around my back garden at it's lesuire. I chased
after it with a kitchen knife once. We havent been invited to the annual
neighbourhood 'mince pies and loft extension chat' meet-up *again* this
year. A connection, perhaps?

Being given flowers randomly, that's just lovely, isn't it? Like finding
unexpected packages in the mail. I got once of those today, with Scott
Walker tunes inside. I threw a flower at Cliff Jones once, I'd been walking
round all day with it tucked behind my ear. He ignored it. He jumped into
the crowd and sang to me, which I found most embarassing. I don't like his
music, I just like his pretty face. But I have a feeling it's going to hell.

Jenowl, I'm after an update. I think in right in saying that you new a girl
in the year above you at school who liked belle and sebastian, or something
along those lines? The thing is, I've recently befriended a girl in the year
below me, and we're going to Bar Italia together this friday, wearing silver
shoes. So you simply must befriend her, because it could really be worth it.
She might lend your her Baby Birkin cd, and you might be able to hide behind
the geography block together, smoking malboro lights and swapping LoveRat
stories.

> funny, i can contemplate selling cds with much more equilibrium than
>selling books.  i just love my books too much, even the crap ones.  they
>look so colourful and pretty and wise lined up on the shelves.

I onced tried to encourage listees to discuss whether they would sell their
legs for money at a picnic. It didn't go down to well, I must say, and I
counted at least 5, count 'em, 5 "what are you like?" glances and 1 "shut
up, stupid girl" frosty stare. Bear in mind I did have my own leg in a
pretty hefty bandage at that point, and was contemplating what would happen
if my poor leg fell off. This does have a link to the above paragraph. Oh
yes. Yes yes yes. In a simalar kind of conversation this weekend, someone
asked me if I'd rather go blind, or deaf. I said deaf...I'd rather live life
as a silent film than just be given the soundtrack, and with books, because
they're pretty magic, arent they? I've broken my "can't read books" bind by
reading Bonjour Tristesse in private study today. Bon chic!

I'm going to a Heroes and Villans party tommorow night. I am going as
bondgirl villan Magda, and Hannah as heroine Tinkerbell. This is entirely
appropriate. I can shoot a townie down at fifty paces, you know. Pink tights
or no pink tights. BANG! Blood splattered shiny nightclub walls, the heavy
throb of dance music in my ears. I guess I could always blame Marilyn
Manson.

I was telling you to sew things onto your clothing. Don't forget to take the
needle out when you've finished, and not absent mindely pull your jeans on
like I did. You'd never think such a tiny cut would bring so much blood,
would you?

Erica