Sinister: While I laughed I wondered whether I could wave goodbye...

Alasdair Cook MC1996 acook at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 14 17:49:47 GMT 1999

G'day, hipsters.

I'm still looking for the hidden message in Archel's snowflakes. I'm
pretty sure that if you rearrange three flakes, turn it upside down and
hold it up to a mirror it spells out "Isobel Campbell is dead" in
Arabic. Can anyone verify this?

At last, some proper cold! You know, brass monkeys freeze your delicates
off cold. With fog. And snow. Beautiful, Bernard. It's enough to make
one write to the BBC urging them to show The Lion, The Witch and The
Wardrobe again. Mmmmm, Turkish Delight.

Leaky talked about making mobile phones play B&S tunes. If I had a
mobile phone (which I don't, because they FRY YOUR BRAIN), the first
thing I'd do would be to make it play the theme tune from Terry and
June. Do do do do do do do do do do do dooo doo doo. Joooooooon!

Lauren:
> i hate
> it when people wear glasses when they dont even need them and are just trying
> to look cool. that pisses me off!)

Step forward Mr Lowery, you cheatin' varmint. No wonder he's so blummin
successful wid the birds.

Colleen:
>  my primate friend turned
> me on to B&S about uhh hmm a year ago

You have a friend who's a monkey? And he listens to B&S? Are B&S a
monkey-friendly band? Do orangutangs swing through the treetops with
Sinister on their minidisc players? I mean obviously Looper are
monkey-influenced, their album being called Up A Tree and all, but does
Struan write songs specifically for gorillas? As most people know,
monkeys are traditionally Fleetwood Mac fans, what with Stevie Nicks
being a chimpanzee in disguise, so getting them to like fey indie pop is
harder than you may think. However I'm willing to believe that B&S could
have a "cult monkey" following, and a new generation of monkeys are
making Murdoch's mob THEIR band. The next time you see a monkey in the
rain forest or down the pub, look very closely at their chests and I'll
bet you'll see a B&S badge in amongst the matted hair and parasites.

Angel:
> I only use silly fake names because my parents named me after a certain
> cartoon character and that name always comes across as more made up....

It's "The Hooded Claw" Blackwell, isn't it? I really hope so.

Jenny H:
> actually, my old primary teacher was called Miss Honey, like in
> Matilda and all that, and she was really nice and lovely and always made
> sure our milk wasn't warm and things.ok , so i feel a childhood regression
> coming on......in any case, i'm betting a sweetie necklace and seven shiny
> glass marbles that he (master mitchell) doesn't look anything like my miss
> honey....

Well, apart from the girly haircut...(how to commit list suicide in one
easy step - try it kids).

Martin:
> I've decided to invent a new musical genre for the next
> century. That being: Gangster Indiepop.

Hasn't Harvey Williams being planning to record gangsta rap versions of
all the Another Sunny Day records? I believe Hopkins is the expert on
this, if only to get him to post again. And he has the opportunity to
bang on about Exeter's battling nothing each draw with the might
Toffees, if he so chooses. Oh, and The Pixies are still good.

Tricky:

> Why doesn't Steady Mike win some kind of prize?

I think someone has to invent something that's good enough first. Get to
work, people.

Rachel T:
> and no lee&herring hobby guy ideas!! what was that
> guy's name?

Simon Quinlag, I think. Drink your weak lemon drink.............now.
God, I sound like a student. Shit, I am.

Clarke:
> The other day I had a Sinister-ish dream. Tim Hopkins was in it. We went to the
> pub. But then Tim started shouting going "We're not going to this fucking
> over-crowded commerical pub, let me take you to a real boozer", and he led us
> to a place where the main attraction was that when you went in, the staff
> handed you rubber truncheons, and you could beat up as many police-people as
> you wanted, for the price of a pint!! Crackin'! And one policeman was naked.
> Urgh. The others were fully uniformed. Honey was there, sneaking peeks.

Which is strange, beacuse that's EXACTLY what happened the last time I
was in London. Except Honey wasn't there, unfortunately. Thora Hird was,
though. You should see some of the things that woman can do with a
rubber truncheon. I ask you.

Angel again:
> My friends Diana and Debbie were out last night at a little P!O!P! night and
> they looked like they had fun. Debbie even danced last night.

We are talking about Debbie Spiers here, aren't we? I'm sorry, monkeys
listening to Belle & Sebastian I can accept, but you're winding me up
with this one.

Lucy:
>  Funny Batter.

Is saying something which is almost rude actually ruder than saying
something which is actually rude? Probably. But she also said:
> Time to give my digits a rest, methinks.
Which is just plain disgusting. Should be ashamed of herself, that one.

Orbitat said, about Snow Patrol:
> stay as far away as possible, so you dont get
> infected with this ugly disease like i did.

Blimey, that's a bit harsh. I've heard bands described as ugly (have you
SEEN The Barenaked Ladies?), but a disease is going a bit far. Unless of
course they've let horrible rats pee all over the cds before
distributing them. If this is the case I apologize and wish you a speedy
recovery.

Also on The History Of The POP Video was a bout half a second on
FunkySeb's historic Moby video appearance, which I saw for the first
time. I was duly impressed by the man, especially after missing the
spectacle of his dancing abilities at Bowlie.

Trousse:
> it's been too long since we last heard from
> Lawrence-out-of-Denim, but I have it on very good authority (ie Tim from
> Baxendale, who's just been recording in the same studio) that he's about to
> stun us all with the greatest come-back since Lazarus. Apparently his new
> band is called Go-Kart Mozart and the forthcoming record includes tributes
> to Um-Bongo ("they drink it in the Congo") and Wendy James. I can hear Peter
> Miller salivating from here.

True enough, as I almost bought it today but didn't cos it was about 13
or 14 quid, far too much for a poor person like me to spend on one cd.
Instead I spent 24 quid on lots of cheapo second hand stuff, which will
probably result in more fun in the long term. However I may purchase Mr
Lawrence's album sometime in the future. There's also a rather amusing
review in Tag Mag Uncut this month, penned by none other than Bob "he's
in St Etienne, you know" Stanley.

Lastly, a very happy birthday to Mr Stevie for tomorrow, who's not old,
he's just nicely matured like a stinking piece of cheese.

May Cliff have mercy on your soul. Goodbye.