Sinister: All my little words...

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Mon Dec 20 04:28:52 GMT 1999

    Greetings to all my Sinister brothers and sisters!! As kerry said our
lovely list has been a bit dreary as of late with all these dark messages of
the passing of beloved pets and dire omens of faceless corporate types
sending out their winged monkeys to destroy our lil' list and torment our
dear list mummy. So first off let me say cheers to our sweet mummy for
defending our list from Esosoft and Topica. On the eve of our dissolution we
salute you mummy!
    Ahhh, strange days indeed. I have just this week joined the ranks of the
graduated. The only thing I await is the real diploma in the mail to put the
final touch on the end of my undergraduate life. So now armed with my BA in
English I am well prepared for a life of washing dishes and scrubbing
toliets. Nah...grad school looms on the horizon though I find myself
wondering if being an english prof or editor is what I want. Hmmm, I must be
getting old, I have this strange feeling I have to do something with my
life, either help people or animals in some way. I may end up falling back
and getting my vet tech certificate. Only time will tell since I don't go
into grad school til the fall.
    Onto B&S related material! While in East Lansing and Ann Arbor this
weekend I picked up Tigermilk on vinyl and almost picked up Looper's Up A
Tree on vinyl. I also snatched up Dog on Wheels and was pleased very much
with my finds. Cheers to Brandt for letting me know about the Ann Arbor
connection!
    I also managed to get two of my friends hooked on Looper as I played
them on the ride up to Lansing. I was quite suprised since I didn't think
they'd enjoy the spoken word style, yet they loved Impossible Things #2 and
asked me to do a mix tape up with a little Looper and B&S. The revolution
continues...
    Schools out but I keep having these flashbacks when i start to relax a
bit. I go to grab my backpack to look up whatever work I might have only to
remember I've finished with the semster. A bit hard to believe it's over.
The best thing about this is that my graduation present to myself is a
vacation in Hawaii. Ten days spent ringing in the new year on the white sand
beaches..ahh, yes.

    I'm almost missing the snow even though I dislike the cold. Still, I
really do enjoy winter. Winter means another year. Winter means moving
forward. Winter means something better on the horizon. The new year to me
always means a new chance, even if the whole thing is just rather arbitrary
and not a true reflection of any massive change but a human system of
telling times, bugger it! Damn the topedoes and charge forward!
    I have also found myself using english slang as of late. Too much
watching imported BBC programs and movies and reading books by english
authors. I caught myself saying shite yesterday out of the blue. Arse has
already found its way into my vocabulary and bugger is flirting around the
edges of my conciousness. Should I be worried?
    A squirrel stared at me thursday as I took my english final. Silly
little thing just sat on a tree limb outside the window and stared for a
full twenty minutes. I half expected it to hold up a sign; "We have
Isobel...demands to follow". Doubtful I know, but disconcerting indeed.
    So I've 'discovered' the joy that is Looper and also really starting to
dig Magnetic Fields and Felt. I'm thinking I might try Hefner out next, any
suggestions?
    Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't say I'd just tuned into Black Box
Recorder and have really started to dig them. On the Magnetic Fields front I
picked up the 3-cd set of 69 Love Songs last weekend after hearing All my
Little Words on a mix tape from a friend. Solid stuff and I enjoyed it quite
a bit, though I'm not sure if *all* 69 songs were needed, but I respect what
was attempted. Any other Magnetic Fields albums I should look for?
    Anyways, heads to the storm all you beautiful sinister people!

Be Sinister all you wonderful twee people!

Jim

"It's not the world that needs saving, it's people"- Grant Morrison