Sinister: A nobody in the right place at the right time

Tom Lennox jude at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 24 00:31:09 GMT 1999

Firstly apologies for my state last night on the list - really I must learn
that you should conduct yourself in a manner fitting for your grandparents
if you're going to be a proper ambassador for the good of Sinister.  So if I
cleared the nursery out last night because they were all to shocked by the
sort of individuals given space to rant on Sinister I can only apologise.
Then again you might all be trapped here listening to me foaming at the jaw
bone if the `unsubscribe sinister` command still isn't working properly.
Ha-ha my evil plan worked - whoops I said that `evil` didn't exist didn't I?
Well I'm not looking back at THAT mail to check.

So far no differences between the pissed and sober mail I know, but I'm
trying.

Lovely to see Robyn Fadden remind me of a great cinematic feeling:

"I watched "Being There" on the weekend. It's a lovely
movie, a good Sunday morning movie. oh, i cried, of
course i did. like the plastic bag scene in american
beauty, it's so amazing when the beautiful just leaps
out in front of us, dazzling, and you get that warm
chest feeling like all is right in the world (though
you still know that so much is wrong, but it's okay
for a few minutes.) it's bloody beautiful."

Well I'm certainly looking forward to American Beauty (over here in the new
year) but I always loved Being There and apparantly it was John Major
(British ex-Prime Minister of very little note - American listees) favourite
film of all time which seems perfect that a nobody PM can find the story of
a simple man who rose from obscurity by being in the right place at the
right time to the ranks of President something he can relate to.  John Major
was just Chance - although he should probably have just stuck to the walking
on water bit rather than the ERM.   Incidently if you like Peter Seller's
films, expecialy Being There then the one to watch is `Hoffman`, a little
known 1970 classic about the story of an middle aged man blackmailing a
young women because he wants to mother her... well it is great actually so
there... and I just know that it's the sorta thing you Sinister folks would
just love.  Go check.  Before I let this mail lie I seem to also remember
(oh I'm so anally happy in comatose trivia land) that after making `Hoffman`
Peter Sellers got all these lovely letters from caring people wanting to
make him feel happier whic is exactly what I got after last nights drunken
meeting with the Sinister list.

And fantastic you all were to.

It doesn't feel like xmas yet so at least it won't be an anti-climax for
me - and naturally I wish all the best for you lot sticking around here.

love
Tom