Sinister: Join the Great Subconcious Club

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Fri Dec 24 20:11:39 GMT 1999

At long last!! A white christmas here in Michigan, though the cold is a bit
much. You forget how cold single diget temperatures are until you walk out
and your face starts feeling all pins and needles like. The bare minimum of
B&S content, I went to a christmas party last night after work and managed
to slip some B&S into the CD player. It wasn't a very big hit, but I put
TBWTAS on and people started enjoying it as well as "I Spent the Summer
Wasting" since a few people there had heard those two songs on the local
college radio.

Erica said:

>I went to a dinner party last week, and sang christmas carols in a ragga
>style. Has anyone ever done a Belle and Sebastian song in a ragga style?
>Ooh, Ooh, b&s content. Now, back to something entirely different.

    Christmas songs done ragga style? That is a sinister idea. Of course me
and my friends had to try this, as well as mixing a wealth of other styles
in there as well. I think my personal fav was the metal version of Deck the
Halls. A good time was had by all.

    Erica also said:
>Amelia from Marine Research kept bumping into me while she

    Scary part is that as I read this "Sounds from the Gulf Stream" is
playing in the background, a nice CD and one of my better Christmas gifts
thus far this year.

Tom mentioned:

>You realise of course as I make all these typos and speeling mistakes I
>think of the American individual on this list (oh so specific) who
commented
>on the British Sinisterarians over ambitious use of their own language but
>you must forgive us as few of us on this side of the Atlantic would ever
>have the indie-chic of being into B&S were it not a part of our university
>curriculum.  Well I may be wrong but American listees just seem so cool in
>comparison.

    Ah, but it's the accents that you fellows have. While listening to
Looper's "Impossible Things #2" with a friend who was rather impressed by
it, my friend remarked; "You know, this song wouldn't be half as cool if it
wasn't for that accent". It's true, the accent is just aces, and I must say
I dig English slang, something about words like wanker and shite and arse.
Though I think it's about time for everyone to stop trying to sound like
Austin Powers :-)
    Ooohhh, B&S is part of the curriculum? Too cool, a grad course in twee.
I think the closest I ever got to indie-chic was the indie-chick that sat
next to me in Psych class and listened to Ani Difranco:-) I must say that I
was suprised by the amount of B&S material I found in Ann Arbor and East
Lansing (two of the bigger college towns in Michigan), I don't know if
that's an indication of their popularity or just an indication of the depth
of material stores in college towns carry.
    I do know that *someone* at MSU likes B&S since I usually hear a B&S
song once a day on our college station. Now I have to see if I can get some
Looper played...

    Cheers and Merry Christmas to all you wonderful Sinister people!

Jim