Sinister: I am female, hear me seethe

Erica MacArthur Macarthur at xxx.com
Wed Dec 15 13:37:32 GMT 1999

Hello Popkids,

Yes, it's me again. Reprazenting the Youth as I always said I would.

Lucy said:
>A couple of weeks ago, Julie Burchill tried to sound >Important and
Controversial in the Guardian by writing >about grown-ups who profess to
like P!O!P! and how >they should leave shiny, fluffy music in the territory
>of teenagers.
The boy G:
>Which is complete and utter bullshit, of course, and >shows how
indescribably little Burchill knows about >anything, least of all the
teenagers shes so "down" >with*...

I thought Julie B was rather on-point there actually. Don't get me wrong, I
think she get's too caught up in hating everyone too much of the time, but
this time she's not suggesting burning beautiful things at the stake (with
the obligitory "he's a list of good-looking women I *do* like" tagged on the
end) She's not saying you can't enjoy it, she's saying don't try to
understand it, don't pick it apart and poke at it.

Adults are not going to have the same emotion, the same love about pop music
as young people will. Though Tim from Baxendale does a pretty convincing
impression of being the eternal popkid, we know that in real life, he does
go home and listens to Momus and Hefner and the Boards of Canada, as well as
Geri Halliwell and Oxide and Neutrino whilst penning songs about his failed
love affairs. Yes - he's a charmingly hapless romeo. This isn't Craig David
material.

Yes I am a stuck record. Shut up!

I don't think you can turn around as a weathered, rent-paying adult, who has
seen all the mess and dirt which comes with the teritory of growing up and
moving out - I don't think you can then generate quite the same level of
fantasy and excitement a 13 year old girl would over the verse chorus verse
verse chorus.

Didn't you find, when Alistair first wrote about Baxendale on Tangents, it
was with a sense of sadness? and he put it down to age and the fact that he
couldn't really loose himself in the whole thing anymore. He called it "lack
of ability to suspend belief", probably because he's a writer and he's got
to make it sound more fancy.

Most of my pop dreams were over by the end of Primary School - my friends
all decided they liked Nivarana and Guns and Roses because their sweaty
sisters did, so it was byebye TakeThat wristbands, Hello Skull Bandana. I am
back to liking commercial Pop again after a fairly long stray into the
wilderness. There's a list of my favourite songs of the year here:
http://members.boardhost.com/natureshated/msg/4173.html

Right, I'm going to go and rub my thighs furiously in a Vic Reeves style in
front of a picture of Jude Law.

Bah Humbug.

Erica

P.s Nick Dastoor called Stuart G an "amiably bumbling fool" and to him I
say - nice trousers:
http://www.geocities.com/carsmilesteve/summerwasting/quipsandquotes.jpg

http://welcome.to/houseofscarlet