Sinister: Lo-fi?

Kevin Keeler insanity at xxx.net
Mon Feb 1 18:38:12 GMT 1999

After reading the honey-pot post 'bout my "privelge".. i figger I'd better
answer!! how rude i would be if i sat here silently while the new folks
sit in the corner, longing to yell out an answer but with their mouths
taped shut.

so color me inspired.

ah.  yes; an answer.  "lo-fi" refers to low-fidelity.  as in music.  i
*know* youve heard the term "hi-fi".. but for some reason not everyone
seems to appreciate that in order for their to be a "hi-fi" there must
also be a "lo-fi".  currently i am still on a search for some "mid-fi"
bands... but that seems to be a very thin line.

so what is low fidelity? fidelity is how exactly a medium can reproduce
the content (only worded more grcaefully).  digital (minidic, cd, DAT) are
considered hi-fi (minidisc may be debated.... but you get the point.)  the
analogue equipment (reel to reel, vinyl, wax cylinder) are low fidelity.
this doesnt *necessarily* refer to how good it sounds (as this is a very
much ongoing debate on every mailing list I'm on (and if, by chance, i
have missed it here.... please don't enlighten me)), merely how *exact* it
is.

so, the lo-fi folx you refer to either use non-digital equipment (which
truly isnt all that rare--and cheaper!--or they just have a general lo-fi
sound to them.  personally i think its just some other way to distinguish
the music you like.

and what happens when i buy a lo-fi all stars albumon CD? am i raping
their good name?

hooray!! first post!!! (after reading your crazy crazy banter for about 2
months)
  (how appropriate that it was completely off topic.)
	--kevin
whipp it good!!(*wuh-pish!*)