Sinister: In a small house in Paris, that was covered in vines

Joe Cairns cairns at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 1 16:05:09 GMT 1999

It would be easy not to get grouchy about the quality of the posts lately,
if all the like-minded Doozer-loving, geekrock persons on the list could
help us out of a spot...

Down here in the big Smog, we've been regressing into childhood, and
today's brief is to find out what twelve-year olds do. To sum up, in a
sentence or two, to find out what people did in those last years of golden
weather.

Problem is, all the pre-pubescents I know are way back Up North *sniffs*,
and my powers of imagination are letting me down, and my own recall is too
blurred up with received experience to tell the truth.

Frankly, the boss laughed at us when we handed in the likes of:

"When I was twelve I rode around on my bike, killing cats, and selling them
to the Chinese takeaway"

and

"I never had any friends like the ones I had when I was twelve years old.
One day, we set out to see the body of a dead kid..."

So this is a bit of a plea, but also a *coughs* fun competition:

All the delightful listees who've been clogging up our heads with little
diary extracts, could you please divert your creative energies my way, and
mail ME (NOT the list!!) with a few lines about something you did when you
were twelve??

It could be that you were a majorette, or ornithologist, or went on Jim'll
Fix It, as long as its witty, charming and concise.

All efforts will be gratefully received, and the person who sends in the
best will scoop an extravagant (as yet unconfirmed) prize.

Once again, if you're feelin' nostalgic, or particularly twee, do a workshy
fop a good turn and help us out with our homework.

yours graciously,
Joe  xxx