Sinister: In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 2 23:32:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 Tjonrr at aol.com wrote:

> so i wish i hadnt bothered watching it now cause though theres these songs
> which matter to you and say something to you things like this and the recent
> biography only serve to remind you that their made by this well off public
> schoolboy just about as far removed from you as possible.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that as a problem. You can still
appreciate a song, if the writer wasn't like you. Are you saying I
shouldn't like B&S because I'm not a shy scotsman? Or that I shouldn't
like Pulp because I didn't go to art school? I think if a song says
something to you, at whatever level, you should keep that thought with
you, even if it wasn't intentional / sincere. And anyway, it's perfectly
normal to write songs from other people's perspectives - most of Stuart
Murdoch's most personal songs are written from a female perspective for
starters. The songs, the public image and the real person are three
completely different things...

On a completely unrelated note: every year, around this time, thousands of
students in Cambridge are paired up for blind dates, to raise money for
charity. Everyone who takes part has to fill in a form, and you get paired
up on the basis of the form, your looks (I'm onto a loser there then), and
how much you bribe the organisers (to charity of course). Now I'm not the
richest person in the world, so I need alternative ways of getting a
decent blind date. So if anyone can come up with amusing answers to any of
the following questions, I'd be very grateful... (is this an abuse of the
list? Probably, but the smut factor's been to low recently)

"Write a lonely hearts as for yourself"; "Write a lonely hearts ad for you
ideal date"; "Does size matter?"; "How do you eat your Cadbury's cream
egg?"; "Draw your favourite fruit/vegetable" and lastly "Detail you best
feature which will blow your date's trousers off"

Last year I got paired with a 5ft 3in women's rugby player, so let's hope
it goes a bit better this time...

Big Stu

Minimalist Murdoch
.