Sinister: Young Man's Blues

Carrick C Blair carrick44 at xxx.com
Wed Feb 3 05:18:03 GMT 1999

And one more thing about Modern Rock Song...

It should have been 'riding buses' instead of
'writing songs'. It just sounds better. And maybe
Mr. True would have been a bit nicer in his review.

And Keith...(and Tag)
Sorry, poor word choice on my part. I was feeling
bit pissy, and when i'm in, or starting, a petty
argument, I tend to overstate things. (and it was
petula who made me laugh, not a jessica)

And so to my story about 16 year olds, The WHO, B&S....
(Erase now if your easily bored.)

You ever see someone or maybe what seems to be a
small group of someones who like to stick together and
think to yourself, "I wonder if they like B&S?" or "I wonder if
they even know about B&S? Maybe I should do something
about it. Like slip them a tape or something." For some
reason this only happens with 16 year old girls for me.

I see a girl, and I think, "If she heard Expectations,
than her life would be that much better and she would
sure to go on to do many great and wondrous
things..."

You're a star and you'll go far.

Well there was this girl from North Salem. I was working
in her neighborhood checking peoples wells for some
reason too complicated to go into. This whole thing lasted
a few weeks. A few days into the job I'm checking this well, and
I see this girl getting off the school bus. All clunky shoes, nice
haircut and one of those "Manhattan" bags. If this was lower
Manhattan, I probably wouldn't have noticed, but here on the
edges of rural suburbia I took notice. Where did SHE come
from?

I have this weakness for the stranded hipsters in the country.
Small town isolation, walks along the railroad tracks, swimming
in the reservoir, long lonely nights spent in your room...The
Smiths, etc. And I have a weakness for the whole teenage
experience. Something gnawing at me about it, like I didn't
take full advantage of it.

I'm trying to make this short, so let's see...
I keep running into her over the next few weeks. I run into her
having pizza with her dad. The next day she's outside making
movies with her friends. A few of them are wearing those
Afghan head things that some of the kids on the IFYS artwork
are wearing. These guys must be shown the wonder and
beauty of B&S. Every time I check her house, I always whistle
B&S, or sometimes sing "she's a honey with a following of
innocent boys..."

Than New Years Eve day. I'm checking all the houses for the last
time. I'm thinking, wouldn't it be weird if I saw her again. Kismet or
something else I don't believe in. As I'm checking the neighbors'
well, I see/hear this noisy old pontiac firebird pull into her drive
and this rather awkward boy in a trench coat get out and go inside.
She comes running out to get something out of her car and
scurries back. I'm about to leave her place when her father
comes out to have a chat about underground water levels,
well drilling, etc. He's a geologist, you see. And out she comes
with her date, that awkward looking boy in a trenchcoat. This
all makes me very happy for some reason. At least its not
A "Jordan K..." type. (like from My So Called Life)

I get back in my car and watch them pull out for their night of
fun. I turn on the radio and out of reflex I just turn it all the way up.
Its The WHO - Young Man's Blues from Live at Leeds.
So perfect I almost cried.

At the moment all I wanted was to be 16 (or maybe 17)
and own a old noisy firebird and live in North Salem. With
a Belle and Sebastian sticker on the back of my car. Or
maybe a WHO one.  (Instead of TOOL. Poor girl.)

I go home to see Shilough and Larissa have arrived at my
house and have started a fire and wine bottles are open
and the stilton and grapes are out. Van Morrison is playing
on the stereo, and life at 25 starts to feel good again.
Some of you may remember Shilough and Larissa from
my Boston/Philly concert stories. Did I mention they got
engaged?  Now the whole world knows.

So should I send the poor girl a tape?
She probably think I'm some sort of freak.

Wishing my computer cd player had more bass, so that
this More Rockers CD would sound better. drumntreble.

Carrick

_______