Sinister: Chocolate Synthesizer

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Wed Feb 3 10:50:45 GMT 1999

Hello playmates,

Once again I've elected to compensate for the lack of imagination and
wit in my posts by making extensive reference to Another End Of Year
Pollzzzzzz...  This time from that bastion of all things cutting-edge
and avant-bonkers, the Bible of Pan-Global Shrieking Cacophony, 'The
Wire'.

Of course, being 'The Wire', this is no
Mercuryrevcatatoniashovethemanicsintherenoonewilltwig affair - it's
all comically obscure esoterica - Min-Xiao Fen, anyone ?  Arnold
Dreyblatt's 'Nodal Excitation' ?  'Little Birds Have Fast Hearts' by
the Die Like A Dog Quartet ?  Never off the Dansette, that last one.
Anyways, buried amongst all these unfathomable lists the mag gives
space to individual writers to rave and rant about '98's highs and
lows.  Douglas Wolk, in his 'Pros' column, mentions 'new Belle and
Sebastian on Virgin Airlines' (we know all about that), but also 'Kiki
& Herb butchering "Fox In The Snow"'.  Now what's that all about ?  Is
it this mythical remix we've heard so much about ?  Some kind of
BounceCore jack-hammer atrocity that's providing a soundtrack to
Vicks-abuse in Ghent and Liege ?  I can almost hear 'read it in a book
tonight' being time-stretched into gaseous oblivion as I type.
::shudder::

[If you're at all interested in this issue of 'The Wire', it's the Jan
99 one - probably only available off-the-shelf in Rough Trade now -
and features a cover photo of David Sylvian, cleverly distorted so
that you don't notice that The Most Beautiful Man In Pop 1982 now has
a *beard*.  I nearly cried. ]

I did do a quick archive-search re: the above; 'Kiki',
disappointingly, turned up no references to Pebble Mill's finest
chanteuse, while 'Herb' produced a cautionary tale involving Tag,
Susannah, drugs and Flowered Up.  I bloody love reading the archives,
me.  Beats working.

Toodle-pip,

SteadyMike.