Sinister: My Evening Out

Honey honey at xxx.net
Thu Feb 4 19:38:48 GMT 1999

Hello you,

Well I went to Evie.  I gathered up my crutches and walked, as Jesus
says, and lo, it was a mighty fine evening, with Evie and Chip giving it
plenty of whack.  I can't pretend I knew who Evie was before I went, to
my shame, but if you were there last night, you like me might have
mumbled "OH she sang THAT" into your prayer-book and felt a bit stupid.

Here's what I typed before I noticed Anne had mailed the list about last
night already.  Evie was on top form, fresh of voice and appearance,
and, as Linda said, "small as a pea". I've got to say I wasn't
completely bowled over by Chip and Evie's solo sets for the first half
(I'm not sure if "My Mom Was A Pisser" as a song title and punchline
translates well into UK English, but Chris Leonard seems to like it).
But when the Band We Love toddled on to back her and they kicked into
her 60s stuff it was quite tremendous. For Belle and Sebastian Titbit
Collectors, Mick was supposed to be poorly, and looked it, but like a
real trooper struggled in to blow his thing a bit.  Neil (B&S manager
and former skinhead) played a bit of guitar, one of Sarah's friends sang
with Sarah and Isobel like the Three Degrees, Stuart Murdoch played
bass, and Stuart David's staying in cos he thinks it's a sin that he has
to leave the house at all.

Stuart's hair really is red.  Like maroon red.

The last song they did was, of course, "Wild Thing", and Chip insisted
that most of them did a solo.  So we got Isobel rocking it on the cello
for a few bars, Sarah doing that two-note recorder solo you get on the
original (but she didn't manage to make it quite as flat and tuneless as
the original), and then Chip turned round and yelled "STOOart, BASS
solo!" and Stuart went even more maroon and did a few bass runs.  It was
very similar to a traumatic experience I had in a coffee bar in Upton,
Wirral when I was 14 and on a stage playing bass realy badly, and my
older brother playing the roll of Chip, but I think I'll leave the
details to my next Christmas circular letter.

Anyway, we all know that Peter Miller fancies Evie like mad, having
witnessed his sex-crazed agonised ravings on the subject recently, so I
went up and asked Evie afterwards if she'd send some of her underwear to
Spain for him.  She wasn't sure about export restrictions so instead she
scribbled a private message to Peter on my little handheld computer, and
I've put it on the WWW pages.  Of course no-one else should go and look
at this as it's just for Peter so everyone else should turn their eyes
away now:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/things/EvieLovesPeter.jpg

Her handwriting's shakey due to technology rather than drink, but it is
her, honestly.  Actually I felt like a real speccy fool, with everyone
cooing over my little palmtop politely and thinking I was a Star Trek
fan with illusions of coming from the 23rd century; I woke up this
morning in a cold sweat over it.

[Incidentally a related reminder that I'm still taking photos from
foolish listees who want to enter the Sinister beauty concert for the
photo pages, preferably the baby photo page which is my favourite, at:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/minipeople

with links to the others. Just send me JPG format please and be a star.]

Aww but I couldn't go anywhere afterwards, but I surmise that I missed
Claire and Joss and all sorts of sinistereenies last night?  All I had
was the usual Top Trumps set of Keiths, Annes, Tags, Chrises and Julias
- oh I did get a John too..  But we should all wear luminous orange
wooly hats and carry a root vegetable for quick recognition in crowds.

Oh and if anyone's interested in more titbits, Isobel says that her
Gentle Waves project (basically B&S) are probably doing a tour to
support the coming LP around Easter: four dates in the UK.  I think it's
London, Glasgow, Wales and was it Birmingham? but it all sounded a bit
uncertain.  I think she's got a track on the new B&S LP and Stuart David
two maybe, Stevie I think none.  This should all be taken with a large
pinch of salt as I'm notoriously unreliable and fickle.  Sadly I'm not
doing well in Peter's pop-snob competition as I haven't heard any new
B&S, Looper, Gentle Waves or indeed unrecorded Steps material, but I'm
going to be claiming I have in the next mail.

And last night, why did The Pastels go to the church loo one after the
other?  I was watching and they did.  Do Pastels get nervous about
non-Pastel germs?  Or maybe they were leaving little Pastel messages for
each other with loo rool?

-- It's not funny and it's not clever --

Finally, an update on that rude word collector at Yale College Wales --
you'll remember that I sometimes get messages back that mails from the
list to a listee there have been rejected because they're crude. Results
of my investigation have been disappointing.  It seems that the software
is choosy and it rejects the odd mail here and there: it didn't care
less about Gary's rude Welsh words and irresponsibly passed on his
obscenities to the poor Yale listee, and nor did it care about Linda's
stream of filth in her last poetry-parrot mail.  It seems to reject
things at random making an assumption that all mail to
"sinister at majordomo.net" is basically obscene and it's trying to make an
example of some.  Maybe they have Rude Days in Wales.  Anyone?

honey xxx

"Either the wallpaper goes or I go"
- Oscar Wilde, moments before he died.