Sinister: Hey, Nick Drake's back!

DavidJ2502 at xxx.com DavidJ2502 at xxx.com
Fri Feb 5 00:10:39 GMT 1999

Hello everyone.

Sorry about this, but there's little or no B&S stuff this time, but I promise
to keep it brief.

I saw the Nick Drake documentary on Monday and thought it was fan-dabbie-dosie
(spelling corrections welcomed). At last we might see him getting the
recognition he truly deserves. He has clearly inspired so many of us all,
especially one Mr Murdoch, that perhaps he is just about due a bit of fame,
albeit about 25 years too late.

So anyway, here's the groovy part: I was in Birmingham town centre on
Wednesday (only 2 days after the documentary, remember) and every record shop
was cleaned out of Nick Drake records. This is it, chaps. The revolution has
started. I don't quite understand why people who don't know about Nick Drake
watched a programme about Nick Drake, but they did and they liked it. Just
think, if one late-night BBC2 programme can do this for Nick Drake imagine
what a Brits nomination could do for our beloved B&S. Of course, with this
resurgence will come the indie (folkie?) snob i've-got-the-ultra-rare-vinyl-
bootleg-of-him-sneezing types ready to snatch his unbelievable loveliness from
the likes of us who don't even know what his best friends labrador was called.
Let us fight back against these people and spread the good word.

...and just because I don't identify with him as a public schoolboy (near)
Oxbridge graduate doesn't mean there isn't beauty in the songs. So there.

On to other matters. I thought Lo-fi had more to do with the production and
instrumentation than the actual recording techniques. It is a mistake
punishable by tweaking to fall into the NME style trap of calling it a style
of music. The first Babybird albums are decidely Lo-fi but nothing like Guided
by Voices or early Pastels. Neither is it anything to do with the quality of
recording: Blur probably spent a king's ransom trying to get their last album
sounding like a Slint b-side. As for Mid-fi, wait for the new Sebadoh record.

Before I go, has anyone else been plagued with e-mails about a music survey? I
got one blank survey sent to me and after that I got bucketloads of completed
ones and it's driving me insane. If you get sent anything similar please don't
send them abusive mail, I'll only get copies of that too. Please cry for my
sorry plight.

Okay that's enough,

DavidJ