Sinister: What B&S did next?

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 9 14:40:47 GMT 1999

Before I get into the meat of this message - DavidJ2502, who seems to like
random numbers said...

...and just because I don't identify with him as a public schoolboy (near)
Oxbridge graduate doesn't mean there isn't beauty in the songs. So there.

Which is true, although it doesn't necessarily mean that if you were a
public schoolboy and near Oxford Graduate then you would find beauty in the
songs.  Aside from the beauty of the string arrangements, or the
tunesmithness of songs like Hazey Jane II, and my privileged education, its
the aching loneliness and the displacement signified in songs like Place to
Be and Time of No Reply that get my likkle heart strings a-tugging.

And after that pretension, some B&S content.

I was wondering to myself what sort of musical direction the third album
could take (knowing that my wish is Stuart's command), and I have decided
that a couple of completely acoustic songs would be ideal, perhaps with
multi-layered guitars and delicious backing vocals - perhaps by bringing
Robyn Hitchcock along to a few recording sessions.  Failing that, a huge
blow-out number like Lazy Line... but with the length of two TIJAMRS's with
quiet bits, loud bits, and a randomly placed F#m 7th suspended 9th followed
by, I don't know, any chord I suppose.  Nick Drake folk-guitar tunings
should be used at all times, as should Ladysmith Black Mbazo or whatever
those baked bean advertising musicians are called.  To my knowledge Phil
Collins has not been sampled on any B&S track, so it's about time a bit of
the baldy drummer cum actor's talents were employed.  "Another day in
paradise" would be ideal, as would the song which for some reason seems
destined to be lodged in my head for ever, giving me a hard eternity of an
afterlife when I leave this fine world - namely "Against all odds".

Perhaps Stuart Staples and Isobel should sing a number together.
Perhaps I should shut up.

OK.

Ta for now my Breetish chums, and my international friends,

Neil