Sinister: It's still not snowing in Paisley (but I did see a fox yesterday)

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 10 18:52:51 GMT 1999

It's true!  The rest of Scotland is white, but Paisley still seems
immune to it all.  But a fox ran down my street last night, so I saw a
fox out of the snow.  Does that count?

Anyway, down to business....

Keen list-watchers may have noticed I had unsubbed for a while, but I
was gently coaxed back by a couple of caring Sinisterettes, so I did.
And what has just dropped through my mailbox but a rather odd mail from
Megan. I find it utterly bizarre that after all the recent
correspondence about Sensitive Stan type stereotypical fans that people
can still be so precious about Belle and Sebastian.

Quote  " i mean, the magazien chose to quote this line, assuming college
students would recognize b&s almost as easily as john wayne...."
and continuing "...i loved having something beautiful for myself,
something that i could share with a few people and wonder about.  the
band certainly haven't been corrupted or anything, but there's something
wonderful about stuart murdoch coming to mailing list picnics, and
having a group of people who know a band and can share it's name amongst
themselves like a secret handshake.  i don't mean to offend the new
people, you all are probably quite easily as lovely as any other listees
i've met"

Words fail me.  People DO know who Belle and Sebastian are, it's not a
secret society, and I for one would love it if EVERYONE knew and loved
them as I do.  Anyway, there are what, 5 billion people in the world and
900 of them are on Sinister.  I don't think we've reached stadium-rock
status yet, you know.  Out of interest, I looked back at the archives
from the start of Sinister, and it wasn't very on-topic then either.
But it was fun, and it sometimes still is.  And had I only discovered
Belle and Sebastian last week or last month, I would consider them to be
every bit as wonderful as I do now, and it would make me no lovelier a
listee than I consider myself to be now.  Which is not very at the
moment, as all I seem to do is moan. I am sorry, I really don't want to
be all moany, and I could have done this privately, or run off crying to
Honey, but I wondered what you all think, am I the only one who actually
wants people to like Belle and Sebastian?  Should I not have voted for
them for the Brits in case they end up on "Brit Awards '99" compilations
with Steps and Billie, and people start to like them and Stu M won't
come out to play with us any more?  I get so angry when I see people
being precious about music because they liked it first and by their
logic must like it more.  It's not big and it's not clever and I thought
we were better than that.

I promise my next mail will be cheerful and witty and interesting to you
all.  Well, I can but try.......

Ailsa xx

PS Oops, forgot my semi-B&S content.  Can anyone tell me at what time on
March 11th the Glasgow Looper in-store gig is on, and if it's a ticket
thing like Manchester?  Thank you !!