Sinister: "all i wanted was to sing the saddest song"

Marie Elia eliam at xxx.edu
Fri Feb 12 02:59:01 GMT 1999

hello, sinisterites... okay, post three.  see?  i can keep track b/c
it takes so much for me to get the guts to post....

anyway, perhaps someone already mentioned this, but i was reading
Rolling Stone today (which is absolute crap, and even though i
haven't renewed my subscription, they keep sending it...), and there
was this interview with Pavement, about their new recording, and they
said they produced "pretty much hard rock, with a couple wussy songs.
That way we can still reel in Belle and Sebastian fans."  this sort
of makes me... well, unsettled... i haven't listened to a whole lot
of pavement, but i've pretty much liked what i heard, but this
comment irks me quite a bit.  like, "hey we can tap into a fan-base
of senstive indie rockers if we tack on a few sappy songs" or
something.  i detect sarcasm, but why joke about these things?

anyway, i am languishing away here in western pennsylvania...
although it was very sunny and quite lovely today -- an oddity for
february...  kids were wearing shorts!

now i will sign off... but first, kisskiss to the always-more-often
poster here in meadville, kimmy!  incidentally, kimmy and i went to
see "she's all that" the other night, and it was very sad.  as in,
pathetic -- don't do it!  you will only lose faith that there might
still be awkward, shoe-gazing, collage-making, book-reading kids out
there... ones that DON'T harbor a secret desire to become "popular."

okay, i will mercifully end now.  for real.
take care,
marie