Sinister: Nick Drake - at last!

Stanley,L (ug) L.Stanley at xxx.uk
Fri Feb 12 11:25:52 GMT 1999

Hey!

James Errington came over on Tuesday night and shared the wonderful sounds
of Nick Drake avec moi. I know what you all mean now: it was difficult to
decide whether he had just put on a B&S tape by mistake (although I didn't
recognise any of the songs). Is it just me or are musicians nowadays
concentrating on the style of their songs and ignoring the sheer achievement
of writing a catchy song... Divine Comedy's new one is brilliant, but it
lacks the clarity of "Casanova" and the sheer audacity of "Something for the
Weekend" and "In and Out of Paris and London". Ditto Pulp, who have never
managed to surpass "Babies" or "Common People". What would any of you think
was the 90s "Hey Jude" or "Back in the USSR". OK there have been songs like
"Parklife" and the above, but generally bands are going more for the elegaic
50 minute album rather than the catchy ditty. Or maybe I've just been
listening to too much folk music - "All Around My Hat" and so on and so
forth.

sat at a desk in a French lesson someplace or other and looking at it, to be
honest I could tell that the school hadn't replaced the desks at least since
the sixties because there were "Beatles" and "Elvis" and "Stones" scrawled
on it. I was in love with Pulp back then and I was heartened to see "J....s
Coc.er" written, although they'd done it in ink so it had rubbed off. Being
the epitome of Adam Ant's "Goody Two-Shoes" I didn't replace it with
anything, but given my reckless behaviour in the last two weeks or so I'd
have done it right now. However, me scrawling the name of the guy I am in
love with on the desk might give political students and fellow members of
the Labour Party palpitations so I won't bother.

Ciao for now

Louise l.stanley at lse.ac.uk