Sinister: You could either be successful or be us..?!?!

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 17 21:05:03 GMT 1999

I have just watched the important bit of the Brits and have recovered
sufficiently from laughing at Zoe Ball's hair to say WOO-HOO once
again.  I sacrificed watching Boyzone to bring you some more media
coverage of the little known lo-fi tweesters....

For those of you outwith Scotland, you missed some "amusing" local news
coverage of the award on the tea-time news bulletins.  Poor Mick must be
having an identity crisis with all those people calling him Nick all the
time - even Scotland Today was at it.  Those impenetrable Scottish
accents, eh?  The Brits coverage was intercut with lovely pictures of
the band relaxing in the studio.  Strangely no Stuart M or Isobel, and
Stevie was variously seen to be hiding behind the Daily Record and
throwing things at the telly.  There was a microphone to be seen, but
there was no sign at all that they were doing what the news claimed (ie
staying in to record the new album).  Sarah said something that I missed
because I was trying to find the remote control to turn up the volume.
Oh, and Neil was there too (although he did make a run for it as the
camera panned round in his direction) That was it - oh and Jackie Bird
the newsreader made the amusing observation that she thought Belle and
Sebastian was a TV series. One programme went into HMV in Glasgow and
asked a variety of baseball-hatted kids and old people of they had heard
of Belle and Sebastian (surprisingly given the wide cross-section of
people interviewed - that's sarcasm by the way - nobody had)  If only
our very own Sininster chum Alasdair Cook still worked there, eh?  They
also played one nano-second of "Is It Wicked..." and made another
amusing crack, this time about the lion not doing much.  What quality is
to be found in regional journalism....

Also on a media note, I am ashamed to admit it, but I used to go to
school with the Daily Record reporter responsible for that report so
thoughtfully posted up by Honey. He was a few years above me, but it
just goes to show what a public school education does for you...the
Herald also said that Belle and Sebastian had four albums out, so let's
all pop down to our local record shop and annoy the know-all counter
assistant for the fourth Belle and Sebastian album, brandishing various
Scottish newpapers as proof when he swears that they only have three. I
remember someone having trouble with record shop assistants before,
maybe this'll confuse them so much they'll stop pretending they know
everything.  A prize for the first one who finds someone who agrees that
there are four albums (as we say in Scotland, if the Daily Record says
it, it must be true...)

Well that'll be it for now then.  Keep smiling kids, it's nearly Bowlie
ticket time.....

Ailsa xx