Sinister: The Rebirth of a Nation

Honey honey at xxx.net
Sat Feb 27 18:01:06 GMT 1999

Sinister is back.

Friends in exile - our time has come!  Having been firmly routed by
the evil gremlins, a small pack of determined Sinistereens have
gathered in the hills, rearmed ourselves to the teeth, and are about
to descend on the unsuspecting masses below, with deadly accuracy,
grim determination, and quite a lot of sexy panache too.  You're all
been very loyal, except about 3 of you who've tried to unsubscribe,
and I have this vision of 940 list members wandering around for a
week in confusion, dressed in mittens and dungarees, looking blankly
into shop windows, day-dreaming over bus timetables, and general
feeling all homeless and sad.  Well we're back, and the only thing
you have to do to make me happy is remember the new address - you're
all still on exactly the lists you were on before and don't have to
worry about resubscribing.  PLEASE go and change your entries for the
list address now if you have them in address books or something, as
the old ones won't work, and might cause unpleasant fumes.

Here's your handy pop-up New Sinister Guide:

If you want to mail the reborn sexy Sinister list, send your emails
to:

	sinister at majordomo.net

If you want to subscribe or (gasp!) unsubscribe, send your commands
to:

	majordomo at majordomo.net

If you want to mail me, with my list mummy hat on (if you're
interested it's green and has feathers), mail:

	owner-sinister at majordomo.net

The new list should work pretty much as the old one, and certainly I
will.  Remember, it's called "Sinister".  It's the Belle and
Sebastian list, it's for you, independent of record companies,
corporate strategies and niche marketing potentials, the one true
faith, the list that surpasses all understanding.  Accept no
imitations :)

I'm going to make you all groan just a little and send out the list
introduction again just after this message - it's because it has been
updated a lot since you all joined in 1956, it's got the new
addresses in, and it's what all new subscribers will receive.  Also
because, the Sinister WWW site is still wandering around scratching
its head for a few more days until it finds a permanent new home.
When it exists it'll be at the following URL:

	http://www.majordomo.net/sinister

The above address you should commit to memory because hopefully it'll
always be there, even 1000 years hence when we all live in
fluorescent orange space pods.  OH!  And if any of you have WWW sites
or documents or anything with the old list addresses on, please NOW
go and change them to point to the new list so it should be ok and we
don't get in a muddle.  I just want to cuddle.

Incidentally the list rules remain the same and will be policed with
grim determination.  But let's get this list off to a good start with
some positively profound mailings ok?  Something with either calculus
in it, or original works by true poets, or something by Mrs Murdoch.
No one-line "hey we're back, byeeee!" messages please.  Two lines is
ok :)  Remember we're a community, 1000 strong, not just a resource
for information, although we have bags of that too, and we all love
each other with passion and wide-eyed admiration.  OK?

There will be one or two other changes but hopefully none of you will
notice and most changes are favourable - I'll tell you more later
on.  I'm particularly proud of the fact digest users still won't have
to wade through footers at the end of every message due to clever
software.  The big change is that unfortunately I can't do mysterious
things to the word "P!O!P!" anymore so you can all say it again.
Believe me, if I could I would.

Oh, and could I ask everyone to bear in mind that Sinister, like
every other resource of its kind on the Internet is a public forum.
We sometime feel we're in a small quiet pub here chatting amongst
ourselves, but please bear in mind that anyone can (and is welcome)
to listen in, and can always go back and read the archives.  It's
sometimes worth remembering just before you post.

Finally: sorry in retrospect for all the disruption to your sinister
pleasure, and for a few lost mails, it's been unavoidable and I'd
have liked to have planned it better, so I feel a bit guilty, but
you've been very good about it.  And sorry also in advance for any
hiccups with the new list, but I've really done a lot to make sure
it's as smooth as possible as far as I can, the rest depends on the
provider who look very good at the moment (I tried a few others and
they weren't up to scratch).

If anyone thinks they're getting a tremendous lag in delivery times,
like more than an hour for now, can you let me know?  Any time lag
should be shown in the full headers of a mail message from the list:
your mail reader should, somewhere, be able to "show full headers"
and in there you will see times for each hop as it finds its way to
you, working from bottom to top: remember timezone changes from the
UK, but if the time it was sent out is vastly different from the time
you got it, could you forward the whole message back to me with a
note, WITH full headers turned on?  And if you don't understand all
that don't worry, because if there is a problem 100 other people will
mail me about it :)

Shut up Honey and let them talk.  Welcome back everyone, pull up a
chair, pat the Sinister doggy, have a pipe and relax.

honey xxx