Sinister: Self-indulgence

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.Edu
Sun Feb 28 17:02:50 GMT 1999

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Brandt S. Fundak wrote:

> I think this is relevant due to the fact that Belle and Sebastian is
> releasing a fourth album in four years as well as two side projects.  How
> much is too much?  Is a new album, a re-release, an ep and two side
> projects too self indulgent or just productive?  Is a double album self
> indulgent?  If so what does that make Stephen Merritt's 3 disc "69 Love
> Songs" due out in june?  Am I wrong for wanting to buy it?

  Well, seeing as how the Magnetic Fields haven't released any new
material in a few years and a lot of the 69 songs are rumored to be
terrifically short, I don't really see the 3 disc concept as
self-indulgent.  Granted, they did put out a 7" last year, and they did
rerelease two albums in January.  However, for those of us that already
had HOLIDAY and THE HOUSE OF TOMORROW, we've been holding our breath
since last summer for a new album...  and three discs?  Yum.

  I'm inclined to think that self-indulgent could be easily confused with
gratuitously productive, but I'm just talking...

  Kristen