Sinister: discussion lists

Honey honey at xxx.net
Sun Feb 28 22:25:12 GMT 1999

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, azrael wrote:

> So what's this about a jeepster discussion list? i mean, can it really be
> any better than sinister?
> i really doubt that it's necessary. are any of you subbed to it?

Good question and one I'm asking too - I knew nothing about it until
it appeared after sales boomed in the Brits aftermath, and Sinister
ran into trouble for a few days.  I was a bit surprised because I
made it clear that Sinister was coming back, and lo! here it is.

Of course any record company as a business decision may choose to set
up its own forum for its fanbase in the wake of an award, after such
a vivid demonstration of solidarity on the Net in the form of the
staggering support in the last two weeks from this list: the timing
is noticeable in that they've suddenly set up lists for 3 of their
bands.  Certainly any label, taking note of the strong dedication of
their band's fans, would want to consolidate that dedication under
it's own umbrella rather than leaving it on an independent list.  But
I've always thought of Sinister as more of a community of friends
than a fanbase.  So I'm tempted to repeat what's often been said
about new B&S WWW sites too: if they add something new for everyone,
then great, but if they simply cover ground already covered, they
split the online community needlessly and weaken it.

Since Sinister's birth one and a half years ago it's been a central
location for information about the band, people getting together,
competitions, sexual shenanigans, frolics and fun, and the occasional
post from the band too, and I hope an enjoyable and well-tended
garden of a mailing list.  I can't see anything but overlap,
confusion and cross-list repeated postings for us in this case, if we
split ourselves across an independent and a record company run list,
so I think this is more important to us all than it might at first
seem, as a communal decision of which way we want to go.  But that's
just my opinion :)

Anyway thanks to SO many people for mailing me about the new list -
I'm glad you seem to like it, and you all make me blush.  From my
side I'm very pleased it seems to be running well so far - the
archives will be back online very soon, I promise, and you can all go
and have a nice paddle.  Don't forget to take your patent Sinister
rubber ring and ducky.

honey xxx